ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

strange situation error

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Fleming
strange situation error
on Mar 14, 2012 at 12:15:33 pm

Today I got an "After Effects error : Strange Situation [0/2]." I searched the COW and found one other post from 5 years ago. Oddly, the situation the person described is exactly what happened to me:

I have three SD 16:9 clips copied and pasted into an AE comp from Premiere. I added some logos and graphics to the three clips and then attempted to pre-comp each of the three with their respective logos and graphics for further animation. It's when I try to pre-comp the clips with the logos and gfx that I get the error.

There wasn't an answer for the person 5 years ago...any answers now as to why this is happening? TIA...

Dave

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: strange situation error
on Mar 14, 2012 at 2:59:06 pm

Double check that the graphics are RGB and not CMYK. You'll need to convert them to RGB if they're CMYK.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave Fleming
on Mar 14, 2012 at 3:21:24 pm

They're definitely RGB, 8bpc. I also tried dynamically linking the clips from PPro to AE, and I've tried roughly building all of the GFX in Premiere and then linking the whole thing. Same error.

The issue always seems to be creating a pre-comp from a copied or linked clip(s).

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 14, 2012 at 3:43:45 pm

Dynamic Link isn't the most bulletproof application on the planet.

The fact that it works AT ALL is a testimony to the inventiveness of the Adobe software engineers; both AE and Premiere were purchased from two different software developers who had very different philosophies on how data should be structured and the applications should be coded.

My recommendation is to just export a still from premiere of your mockup, and use it as a reference in AE for building the real thing.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Steve Clayton
on Mar 28, 2012 at 10:27:56 am

Adobe released the first version of Premiere in 1991 and purchased After Effects in 1994! It is a testimony to the inventiveness of the Adobe software engineers that they still can't get the two programmes to talk to each other properly even after 18 years...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 28, 2012 at 4:41:49 pm

Well, of COURSE Adobe could do massive re-coding of both applications!

They would integrate seamlessly! Effects from one application would be found in the other! Adobe could even merge both into one massive application! Why, it would rival and perhaps even displace Autodesk's fine suite of tools!

HOWEVER....

You can lease -- not buy -- Flame for Mac for just $13,000 a year, PLUS you need to have Autodesk-mandated hardware.

Are you prepared to pay Autodesk-level prices for your Adobe software? Didn't think so.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Steve Clayton
on Mar 29, 2012 at 11:16:38 am

I don't think there is any need for the sarcasm.

Regardless of whether it would now take a massive recode or not, the point remains that 18 years is plenty of time to fully integrate two pieces of software owned by the same company. Over this period the software should have EVOLVED to work together without crashing.

Quite what this has to do with the cost of Autodesk I am not sure.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 29, 2012 at 5:14:38 pm

[Steve Clayton] "...the point remains that 18 years is plenty of time to fully integrate two pieces of software owned by the same company."

Nonsense.

Not unless you enjoy paying substantially higher prices for your software, which I doubt is true.

We're not talking about just TWO applications. Do you think Premiere and AE users also use Photoshop, Illustrator and Audition, to name just three? There is a whole suite of tools to be considered.

Adobe products tend to be both platform and OS agnostic, with obvious exceptions; there was plenty of grumbling when CS5 went 64-bit only. It's no mean feat to write code that works in Windows, Mac OS... oh, and Unix, too. Now let's add the complication of evolving intergration to it. Oh, and make it run as fast as possible too, please. Oh, and make sure it works with about twelve different kids of processors. Oh, and make sure it'll work with a bunch of different graphics cards. Don't forget about AJA, Blackmagic or Matrox, either. Try to make it as future-proof as possible as well, please.

The task of integrating two applications grows and grows.

Autodesk comes into the picture because it's the Gold Standard of integrated applications, a goal which you believe Adobe should have accomplished years ago. How does Autodesk do it?
It controls access to the software: you don't buy it, you lease it. When updates and upgrades come, you install them RIGHT NOW, no ifs, ands or buts.
It controls the OS: only certain versions are allowed.
It controls the hardware: only certain platforms are allowed. Only certain processors are allowed. Some applications need proprietary cards. When it was announced, remember how big a deal Flame for Mac was? It was uncharacteristic for Autodesk.

Thus, it's far easier for Autodesk software engineers to maintain tight integration among applications: Autodesk makes the rules. Autodesk also maintains legions of people who ensure applications remain bulletproof at all times, and Autodesk customers are willing to pay that extra price.

I suppose that if Adobe customers were willing to pay twice as much for their software, Adobe could also approch this standard. However, Adobe might price itself right out of the market if it did so.

Autodesk -- a standard that you feel Adobe should easily reach -- is software for the One Percent.
Adobe is software for the Ninety-Nine-Percent.
You apparently expect One Percent performance for Ninety-Nine-Percent prices.

Do you see anything wrong with this picture?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on Feb 20, 2013 at 4:43:02 pm

I got this error today, I had rendered a quicktime movie (a test, using the save as command in the picture viewer) from Cinema 4D and inadvertently saved it as a still, but with a .mov extension. As soon as I realized my error I resaved the file in C4D and when I clicked reload footage in AE, I got the error.

The footage lost its icon in the project window and appeared as missing, if I could I would have removed it from the project manager and reimported it again, but the strange situation message kept popping and I had to force quit.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Feb 20, 2013 at 5:15:20 pm

Try creating a new project, then import the old project into it. Then delete and reimport the C4D movie.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]