ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

New to motion tracking/match moving: need pre/post production workflow advice

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben BigelowNew to motion tracking/match moving: need pre/post production workflow advice
by on Mar 14, 2012 at 6:51:37 am

Hopefully this is the right sub-forum. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

To start, does anyone know of a good resource (tutorial/pdf/book) that has detailed advice on motion tracking/match moving, from shooting to post-production?

I have some ideas for a new project and motion tracking seems to be the way to go. I've only done some very basic 2D tracking in AE, but seems like I need to step it up this time. There are 2 shots I'm doing which I will explain separately below. They all see to be "object motion tracking" shots, I am not doing any 3D camera work, but rather want to composite video footage with 3D animation, textures, and effects. The programs I'm considering working in are PFTrack, Cinema 4D, and Adobe AE.

Shot #1: The Saxophone:

Basically I want to be able to apply effects independently to the saxophone in this footage:

(the background will be keyed, and the figure removed...nice gloves eh?)

This footage is just test footage, and I plan on re-shooting.

To give you an idea I want to warp the saxophone, animate a rippling effect that travels through it, add 3D appendages/texturing to the sax that move in 3d perspective...all things that would benefit from the sax being an independently tracked, and 3D editable object.

To clarify I don't want to remove the sax, but add FX/3D objects to it.

So far I was thinking I would do object tracking in PFTrack, along the lines of the workflow described here:

. At 3:50 in that video he applies a 3D mesh to the face, I was thinking of using this model for my sax

Do you think I need to add more green dots? I would prefer to have none, so I could composite without worrying about the dots.

Shot #2: Claymation with 3D Texturing

For this shot I want to do frame by frame claymation, then composite 3D texture (in Cinema 4D/BodyPaint 3D). The idea is to get the movement of claymation, but the surface of 3D animation. Also I'm doing a sequence where claymation figures transform into 3D figures.

So an example of the forms would be something similar to this:

(It would be shot at a higher frame rate/better quality etc)

Can I just shoot it normally and do the tracking in PFTrack? Or do I need to put dots on the clay? (but the clay will reshape etc..)

Any advice/resources would be great...thank you!

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: New to motion tracking/match moving: need pre/post production workflow advice
by on Mar 15, 2012 at 12:12:26 am

PF Track is pretty awesome. I don't know of anything else that can do what it can do so yeah, that's probably you're best bet. I have the basic PF Hoe tracking app and it works well but it only does camera tracking, not objects.

I would guess that you would have to have dots or at least something on your clay figures for it to track because the clay alone is just too featureless for it to grab on to.

You may also want to check out Mocha for some of the simpler effects because it's fairly easy to use (once you get used to it) and would probably be quite a bit faster than doing a full 3D object track and modeling and texturing a mesh, etc..

Hopefully, someone else with more experience in this area can chime in and give a little more help than I can. Good luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved