ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Overriding layer stacking order

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pierpaolo FerlainoOverriding layer stacking order
by on Mar 13, 2012 at 8:31:09 pm

Maybe there's something wrong in my approach to this problem.
I have about 100 text layers all close to each other.
Every layer has a wiggle expression in its position.
I need to scale up each layer to emphasize the text (it's a client request) but, obviously, when I scale up a layer, it is covered by the layer above...

So I made all layers 3D and I used the z-position to "scale-up" the layer. In that case I can ovverride the layer stacking order but the layer moves towards the z-axis that is not exaclty "in front of me" so it's seems to move away rather than scaling.

Is there a way to achieve this effect without having to duplicate each layer I need to scale? I will end up with hundreds layers and I think they will be out of my control if I need to modify some basic parameter...

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Overriding layer stacking order
by on Mar 13, 2012 at 9:40:30 pm

Work with 3D text layers? Change their z-position when they have to appear above the others?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Pierpaolo FerlainoRe: Overriding layer stacking order
by on Mar 13, 2012 at 10:32:16 pm

Thanks for your answer... the problem with 3D text layers is that I have to deal with camera perspective so when a layer - away from the center of the composition - is moved along the z-position it does not exaclty move towards my point of view. To avoid that I would need some trick to get something similar to an "ortographic camera"...

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Overriding layer stacking order
by on Mar 13, 2012 at 11:24:19 pm

Depending on your skill level you may be able to write an expression to handle this issue, or you could ask for assistance in the expressions forum.

Dan Ebberts discusses the issue of off-axis camera expressions here http://motionscript.com/design-guide/auto-focus.html

Return to posts index

Pierpaolo FerlainoRe: Overriding layer stacking order
by on Mar 14, 2012 at 10:51:02 am

Thanks a lot. I will take a look to Dan Ebbert's site and ask in the expression forum...

Return to posts index

Pierpaolo Ferlaino[solved] Overriding layer stacking order
by on Mar 14, 2012 at 3:11:52 pm

I did not really solve my issue but manually duplicating and putting my layers on top while they scale up it's my final choice. Some wiggle and Dan Ebbert's expressions to control its behaviour added something extra to the job and the client is happy with it...

Thanks everybody

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]