ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Large paint fix should I approach?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Orion McCawLarge paint fix should I approach?
by on Mar 12, 2012 at 6:57:21 pm

Hi, I hope this is the right area to post this. I couldn't really seem to think of a better fitting area.

So the situation is as follows:

There is a foreign language cartoon show that the studio I work for is going to be turning english. the show, however, needs a lot of paint fix work done. Fixing things such as girls with insufficient clothing guns that look to realistic etc. Now this is the kind of work that I normally do but usually it's a lot more minor. Such as fix a sign here paint out some blood there but in this show there are fixes in almost every scene and usually with lots of movement.

Most of the time I do all the fix work between after effects and photoshop. AE's point tracker has done the job fine for the minor moves I've had to do and between the roto tool and masks I've had no problem getting the work done. Occasionally if there was really tricky movement I would just do the movement frame by frame in PS.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a better way to approach this. My background isn't in compositing so I'm pretty new to this area. I've tried to use mocha for some of the shots on this new show but I can't wrap my head around how it can help especially because I can't get it to track anything (I spent a day and a half following Steve Wright's great tutorials on the mocha site but I can't get the track to work on the animation) And we looked at nuke but I think that's much more then we need.

Any and all help is much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Ross ShainRe: Large paint fix should I approach?
by on Mar 15, 2012 at 8:41:01 pm

Hey there,
mocha should be your friend for this kind of work. If there is significant cover up type of work, you might even want to look into mocha Pro which has a remove module and an insert module.

Here is a link to a video:

The best advice that I have if you are really in a bind is contact Imagineer mocha support team and upload an example of the problem you are trying to solve.

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved