ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Creating a 3D outer Space environment

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris WoodCreating a 3D outer Space environment
by on Mar 10, 2012 at 6:37:42 pm

Hey, I'm looking to create a 3D space environment that I can move the camera around in, flying through clouds of space dust, particles etc.

I have the trapcode series of plug ins, if this helps.

What I'd like to do is find a way for Trapcode Particular to display static particles (none dying, being born, or moving) and then arrange them in 3D space to create the desired shapes.

The main thing I want to do is have an object in the middle of the space environment, have the camera swivel round it, so everywhere the camera looks, no matter its rotation, is space.. stuff. Things like nebulas and constellations, etc.

Does anybody know the steps required to get something like this done?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Creating a 3D outer Space environment
by on Mar 10, 2012 at 8:13:43 pm

Trapcode Horizon can help you create the 360 background for this environment. You will need to create a texture of space- stars, galaxies, nebula, etc- that will look good in PSD.
As far as the Particular formations, you can do that by setting the number of particles emitted really high, with a long life, keyframe that and then cut emission, velocity, gravity to 0 a few frames after. Slide your layer to the left to have the point where the speed of the particles is 0 at the beginning of your comp. (this is how I did the clouds at the end in the clip below)

Also, Trapcode Form may help you create the clouds you are after.

When it comes to asteroids or stars/planets, FreeForm Pro or ShapeShifter AE can help you through the use of Generator.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Chris WoodRe: Creating a 3D outer Space environment
by on Mar 11, 2012 at 1:41:35 am

Top answer, that is really helpful. Thank you so much!

I knew buying Trapcode Suite was a good idea ;)

I'll look into Horizon and Form now, cheers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved