ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Quickest technique for masking simple shapes?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roger MausQuickest technique for masking simple shapes?
by on Mar 10, 2012 at 4:17:12 pm

Hello!

What is the quickest way to mask simple animated shapes, such as this one here? (Outside transparent, inside solid!)

In my case, it's an animation of outlined shapes. I am hoping to much that there is a quicker way than adjusting every mask of every single frame.
Rotobrush is just a slight improvement, since it needs quite some performance and I still need to edit every other frame.

Isn't there something like the magic wand in PS?

Any other hints?

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: Quickest technique for masking simple shapes?
by on Mar 10, 2012 at 5:37:51 pm

One way that would give you very clean results would be to apply the effects Invert (makes the background black), Knoll UnMult (removes the black areas), and another Invert (to flip the colors back to normal) to your shape animation layer. That will leave you with just the black outline. Then add a white solid under that layer and just mask the shapes by hand and use hold keyframes so it jumps from one shape to the next. When you draw the masks, just draw right in the middle of the black outline from your shape animation so the black outline is covering the edges of the masks you draw so you don't have to be so precise. Does that make sense?

Just google "Knoll UnMult" to get the plug-in if you don't already have it. It's free.

Return to posts index

Roger MausRe: Quickest technique for masking simple shapes?
by on Mar 10, 2012 at 6:13:27 pm

Yes, would work, it does make sense. (Similar result would be "create matte".) But the thing is that I still have to do the masking my hand. Secondly, since the shapes are painted by hand, it's quickness over cleanliness anyway.

With my example, I just wanted to clearify the priciple. Actually it's like 100+ small animations with 10+ looped frames.

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: Quickest technique for masking simple shapes?
by on Mar 10, 2012 at 6:50:57 pm

You could also do like I said but use the rotobrush and just choke in the matte a little so the black lines of the shapes cover up the imperfections in the rotobrush edges. Just a thought.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 16, 2012 at 10:55:38 am

Yes, that's what I did so far, but the rototool needs way too much performance for working and rendering.

Return to posts index

Frank BrownRe: Quickest technique for masking simple shapes?
by on Mar 10, 2012 at 5:47:23 pm

Roger
Create shapes with fill and stroke, don`t put any BG to composition.
Click on this button:

...and render your comp with alpha channel.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 10, 2012 at 6:05:54 pm

Yes, that would work. But the animation is drawn by hand and scanned. Analog instead of digital shapes.

Return to posts index

Frank BrownRe: Quickest technique for masking simple shapes?
by on Mar 10, 2012 at 9:24:45 pm

Sorry, I didn't notice that they aren't digital.
If I'll have any idea how to make quick masking I'll post it.

Return to posts index

Eric SantiagoRe: Quickest technique for masking simple shapes?
by on Mar 12, 2012 at 3:33:40 am

might be a long shot but can you auto-trace in Illustrator then copy and paste vectors?
I wonder if you do that with initial paste then add keyframe to mask, it would tween?
thinking out of my noggin of course :)

Return to posts index

Juan ManuelRe: Quickest technique for masking simple shapes?
by on Mar 13, 2012 at 1:44:48 pm

How about making the outside green in PS and using a chroma key in AE to make the outside transparent?

Return to posts index

by on Mar 16, 2012 at 11:01:09 am

[Eric Santiago] [...] can you auto-trace in Illustrator then copy and paste vectors?Wow, creative strategy. Would really give me crisp, scalable (!) results. However I think that I am actually way quicker with the magic wand in PS - not coloring the background green but just deleting it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]