ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

A bit of compositing advice

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alex dinninA bit of compositing advice
by on Mar 9, 2012 at 9:37:04 pm

Hey All,

I've picked myself up a little 3d job.. basically just some text..

The problem I have is I want it to look really big.. scale wise..

has anyone got any good tips how to fool the eye into thinking that what you are looking at is really really big !!!

Do I need to add some small things around it to give a sense of scale ??

just a bit of advice would be a great help..

cheers all

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: A bit of compositing advice
by on Mar 9, 2012 at 9:44:14 pm

Having something of known size for the eye to refer to will certainly help. In addition, anything you can do to play with perspective to give it a sense of scale will help. Wider angle lens on the camera. Tilting the camera so that it has to look up at the text.

Shadows can also help give something a greater sense of scale. Generally the shadows that large objects cast will appear hard (very little shadow diffusion). You can also exaggerate the lighting to cast long shadows.

This all depends on what else is in your composition though.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Conrad OlsonRe: A bit of compositing advice
by on Mar 13, 2012 at 12:28:52 am

And remember that when you shoot something on a wide lens you get a lot of lens distortion around the edges. If you add a subtle fish-eye effect to your render it will help.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: A bit of compositing advice
by on Mar 10, 2012 at 9:54:40 am

Depth of field can help, setting your camera angles looking up at the text (wide angle lens like it was suggested), other objects/characters that point out to the scale (text floating above people that look like ants will appear huge...).

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Angelo LorenzoRe: A bit of compositing advice
by on Mar 11, 2012 at 4:41:16 am

Let animation be your friend too. If the text slams to the ground and all you see is the corner of the last word and then zoom out to reveal the whole text, it's one camera move out of many that can also dictate a feeling of scale.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved