ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

trimming video and stretching it

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
marc davistrimming video and stretching it
by on Mar 9, 2012 at 2:11:40 am

i been trying for the past 6 hours on cutting a specific part of a video using the set in and set out points. However on the timeline i want to add the time coding ping pong expression so it can stutter back and forth to the music, but when i stretch it, it adds the rest of the video i do not want from the clip. does not repeat with the loopOut function. What am i doing wrong here. I got the loop to work with a full clip, but i can't get it done with this one. please help thanks

Return to posts index

Frank BrownRe: trimming video and stretching it
by on Mar 9, 2012 at 10:19:07 am

Alt + [ -- cut in
Alt + ] -- cut out

Return to posts index

marc davisRe: trimming video and stretching it
by on Mar 9, 2012 at 12:50:25 pm

thanks i have tried this as well. tried again and it still keeps playing the footage after the cut out when i time stretch it. do i need another program to chop it up?

Return to posts index

by on Mar 9, 2012 at 3:16:36 pm

How about cutting and pre-composing with Moving all atributes to a new composition?

Return to posts index

by on Mar 9, 2012 at 11:31:30 pm

i am a newb and what you said sounded french to me lol. sorry but can you explain thanks

Return to posts index

by on Mar 10, 2012 at 12:32:41 pm

3837_precomp.mp4.zip

Here is the example

Return to posts index

by on Mar 10, 2012 at 1:11:55 pm

thanks that worked. however as i did this, the timeline now starts from 00860 instead of the beginning,i cant seem to get back to that start. I used the loopout function with pingpong but it does not keep looping to the extended clip. it stops in the middle instead of looping for the entirety of the timestretch.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 10, 2012 at 5:38:15 pm

Marc
So, in that way you should move your footage to beginning of the compositions instead usin "B" - for beginning (but you should use "N"- for end).

Agreed with Dave LaRonde.
First things go first.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 10, 2012 at 6:19:45 pm

thanks well i learned the basics somewhat. learned all about the loopouts and the basic functions but -b -n was not covered there. Or in this case how do i get back to zero? i deleted the clip so i can do it all over again and did undo as back as i could. but the timeline stills shows the beginning as 00860. can't seem to get back to zero even if i entered it on the time on the left. i am almost done with this video, just the looping part of that clip needs to be added. i have the intro with a sun coming up and back down with the pingpong attribute and the title. that worked flawlessly. this clip is the only thing giving me issues here. i also did the expressions for the soundkeys to make it move with music. I did not save before i did the -n and -b so i really don't want to start over.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 10, 2012 at 9:00:38 pm

nevermind i figured out that all i do to do was go to the comp settings and enter 00000 there. awesome now to see if i could get this loop out thing workign on this clip and then i am done.i will send you the link when i am done with my first video if i can't loop it i guess i leave the intro looping for one hour lol thanks again

Return to posts index

by on Mar 10, 2012 at 9:20:37 pm

You are welcome.
Ok I'll be waiting for your result :)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: trimming video and stretching it
by on Mar 10, 2012 at 4:18:30 pm

[marc davis] "i am a newb and what you said sounded french to me lol."

If that's the case, here's the Awful Truth about AE: you can NOT try to use it intuitively. You can NOT jump into the deep end of the pool. You can NOT assume that if you know other software, your knowledge will transfer to AE.

AE is its own animal.

You really, truly do need to begin at the beginning, or AE's gonna hurt you. And here's a good place to start:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

If you know other video production software, learning the basics will take less time than a total neophyte. But you have to learn the basics; you blow them off at your peril. If you DO learn the basics, you'll discover that AE is an incredibly rich and versatile application.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]