ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Handwriting - with a pen and wacom

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TImi BooseHandwriting - with a pen and wacom
by on Mar 8, 2012 at 11:38:14 pm

Hi. Does anyone know a way to use a pen and wacom tablet in Aftereffects so you can just handwrite and it shows up writing over several seconds. I know there is the way where you go already written text with the pen tool making a mask but i really just want a quick dirty way. I haven't been able to figure it out in Aftereffects. I downloaded a screen capture program called Screenium and it works great in that except I can't figure out to make it have a transparent background - don't think it offers an alpha channel...
Anyone know? huh...? huh?

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: Handwriting - with a pen and wacom
by on Mar 9, 2012 at 12:23:24 am

That's pretty clever. If you're writing with the Wacom tablet in photoshop you could make your background white and the brush black and then when you bring it into AE set it to multiply mode and it will knock out the white BG. Also, you could use the invert effect to flip the black and white and set it to screen mode. OR use the free Knoll UnMult plug-in, which will remove the black without having to blend with the background layers. Just stick the invert effect in front of the UnMult effect if you need to flip the colors.

One word of warning though, is that you may run into some weird behavior or bugginess in AE if you use a highly compressed video format, which most screen capture apps do use. I would bring the movie into AE, precomp it and set the size so it crops out the parts you don't need, then render to a quicktime animation or PNG sequence and use that in your project and not the compressed format.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 9, 2012 at 12:39:10 am

Here's the link to the UnMult plug-in
http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/free/

I should have also mentioned that you can use the paint tool in AE to write on as well and it will animate it as you wrote it, but the brush is pretty limited in that it doesn't taper according to tablet pressure and you're stuck with a basic round brush.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 9, 2012 at 12:54:53 am

Correction, paint does respond to tablet pressure but you have to write pretty slow or it will come out looking jagged. Sorry, it's been a while since I've messed with the paint effect.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Handwriting - with a pen and wacom
by on Mar 9, 2012 at 3:31:12 am

Use the write on setting in paint.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Handwriting - with a pen and wacom
by on Mar 9, 2012 at 4:10:11 am

Or you could buy ArtRage Studio Pro for 59 bucks:

http://www.artrage.com/artrage-studiopro.html

and have a set of some of the best natural media tools out there, and you can record your animations from a Wacom tablet, bring them in to AE, then do what some of the answers above suggested - I particularly like Unmult - use it all the time.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Handwriting - with a pen and wacom
by on Mar 9, 2012 at 7:26:07 am

You can do this with the brush tool (cmd-b/ctrl-b). It's on the tool bar. Every time you stroke with the brush tool you will create an instance of a "brush" in the effect applied to the layer. In the brush there are stroke options, these allow you to animate the brush stroke on and off in addition to a wealth of other options.

The brush tool doesn't work in the composition viewer, you'll have to use it in layer view.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]