ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects CS5.5 RAM Preview Issues

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eddie GaliAfter Effects CS5.5 RAM Preview Issues
by on Mar 8, 2012 at 10:43:02 pm

Hey Folks,

So I trim my work area by pressing B and N and then I hit the RAM preview button in the preview panel and it loads the entire composition instead of the work area that I've just defined. This isn't so much of an issue when I'm not previewing with audio because I can just his the space bar and it previews in the defined work area, but when using audio this is becoming an increasingly frustrating issue.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: After Effects CS5.5 RAM Preview Issues
by on Mar 9, 2012 at 12:12:14 am

Be sure the "from current time" option in the preview panel is unchecked or it will ignore the work area you've set. HTH

Return to posts index

Frank BrownRe: After Effects CS5.5 RAM Preview Issues
by on Mar 9, 2012 at 10:23:29 am

Or Right mouse click near the ending point - "Trim comp to work area" and then hit preview button.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects CS5.5 RAM Preview Issues
by on Mar 9, 2012 at 4:57:18 pm

[Eddie Gali] "This isn't so much of an issue when I'm not previewing with audio because I can just his the space bar"

Keep them fingers off the space bar! I don't know why Adobe even includes that phony-baloney "play" option in AE, because AE can't PLAY anything!

Once your comp gets more complex, "play" will no longer be real time. So get out of the habit of using it NOW. Instead, use the period key or scrub audio.

Welcome to the annoying world of previewing in AE. After a while you get used to it, because there is absolutely nothing you can do to make it better. Okay, you can whine to Adobe, but it won't change anything. That's just how the application works.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John OBrienRe: After Effects CS5.5 RAM Preview Issues
by on May 15, 2012 at 9:54:30 pm

Hi Dave:

I have CS5.5 on a windows Tower with 16gb ram. In a composition with 8 tracks of audio AE complains that it can't do 10 seconds of audio. Do you understand this as normal or acceptable? Yes there are effects on the audio but I remember doing more than this with my old MAC g5...

1950objuan@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Randy CatesRe: After Effects CS5.5 RAM Preview Issues
by on Nov 5, 2012 at 10:54:30 pm

It seems to me I used to get better RAM previews in the past than we get now too. Even purging the RAM and lowering the comps layers to draft and the resolution to 1/3rd I still can't get a smooth playback (and I only have 1 track of audio).

One trick you might try (in addition to the above) is to solo only the layers you really need to see, turn off any effects you aren't testing and RAM preview that.

I seriously believe a fragmented hard drive might play a role in this but is that even an issue anymore? I'm on an iMac and don't see any utility for defragging my drive. Is this done automatically by the OS these days or are we required to purchase 3rd party software?

I'm looking into this and will report back.

Randy Cates
Video Production/Motion Graphics

Return to posts index

by on Nov 5, 2012 at 11:09:14 pm

The key to good RAM Previews: lots of ram. No mystery there.

How much is on your iMac? More than 16 GB?

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Randy CatesRe: After Effects CS5.5 RAM Preview Issues
by on Nov 6, 2012 at 1:46:46 pm

No. I have 8GB installed, 2GB reserved for other applications leaving 6GB allocated to AE.

What I find confusing is, when rendering I see (at the bottom of the render Que) only ~2GB being used for AE. Am I missing something? Is there a way for AE to access all available RAM? When I render files I make it a point to turn everything but Outlook off for maximum RAM availability but it doesn't seem to be using it (or needing it).

One last thing. Maximum RAM will give me "longer" previews but whatever is loaded into RAM should play smoothly. This is my issue.

Thank you
RC

Randy Cates
Video Production/Motion Graphics

Return to posts index

by on Nov 6, 2012 at 4:21:19 pm

First, I'd turn off multiprocessing. 8 gigs isn't exactly a boatload of memory any more for AE work. Then give your RAM Previews another shot.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]