ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Making a series of numbers or letters, glow or pulsate sequentially to specific points in music

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim bachalo
Making a series of numbers or letters, glow or pulsate sequentially to specific points in music
on Mar 8, 2012 at 10:27:22 pm

Hi
Attempting to do something which I'm sure is easy for AE experts. i have a series of numbers overlaying a video.

I need to somehow make these numbers glow or pulsate sequentially at specific points in the music(a series of bell sounds).

Ideally I'd like to tap out the sync points on my keyboard since they aren't at perfect intervals.

Can anyone describe a step by step sequence to do this?

Local is the new global

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Making a series of numbers or letters, glow or pulsate sequentially to specific points in music
on Mar 9, 2012 at 4:51:04 pm

[jim bachalo] "Attempting to do something which I'm sure is easy for AE experts. "

Maybe yes, maybe no. It depends on the degree of precision you need. High precision? It usually ain't easy.

You could solo the audio layer, reveal the waveform, keep it highlighted, then hit the multiply key (aka asterisk) key on the numeric keypad. You'll make markers on the audio layer, so you have timings for your effect. I don't know how precise that would really be; a lot of people have crabbed about how it doesn't work in real time, but I think it has more to do with their machine than AE. You could also mistakenly hit the key at the wrong time, which isn't good. All in all, kind of a crap shoot. But it's free.

For greater precision, you could use AE's Convert Audio To Keyframes Feature. It might work for you. For even more precision, you could get Trapcode Soundkeys.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]