ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Creating a matte with no green screen.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Spencer Tycksen
Creating a matte with no green screen.
on Mar 8, 2012 at 3:45:24 am

I have to edit a video that our camera guy messed up. With a little motion and wiggle, we're supposed to create a video that makes it look like a guy is riding on the tailgate of a moving truck. The problem is, our camera guy left trees in the shot that I need to get rid of.

I'm just wondering if there is any way to create a matte that would not only get rid of those trees, but the sky as well so that I could do a nice sky replacement and make it look better. This would really make me look good to the bosses... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Spencer Tycksen
Re: Creating a matte with no green screen.
on Mar 8, 2012 at 2:08:55 pm

Maybe I'm asking the wrong question. What I really need to know is - what is the best way to get rid of those trees?

Return to posts index

Jacob Lanum
on Mar 10, 2012 at 5:10:14 am

Rotoscope with rotobrush. Its a pain

Return to posts index

Spencer Tycksen
on Mar 10, 2012 at 5:56:47 pm

Thank you Jacob! That's what I needed to know. Pain or not, at least I can get it done. I'll let you know how it turns out. =]

Return to posts index

Ryan Hill
on Mar 15, 2012 at 9:15:54 pm

His shoulder and the corner of the truck are pretty brightly coloured orange, you may be able to get somewhere by keying the orange and reversing the alpha.

Return to posts index

Spencer Tycksen
on Apr 2, 2012 at 5:55:14 pm

Big thanks Jacob! The vid was only 1:00 long or so, but took me about 16 hours of work to get it rotobrushed. For my first rotobrush experience it didn't turn out half bad. In fact it impressed the bosses and I got some kudos... Here's a screen grab of the final result:

Return to posts index

Jacob Lanum
on Apr 4, 2012 at 4:28:09 am

NICE. Glad you learned a new technique!

Not half bad? It's never perfect in the artists eyes. You took that shot to another level.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]