ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How do you force complete transparency on a thin mask? Cause this one wont go completely transparent.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Ghast
How do you force complete transparency on a thin mask? Cause this one wont go completely transparent.
on Mar 7, 2012 at 10:44:22 pm

I was doing transparent text (create masks from text) on a dark gray solid, and when i placed a white solid behind it i noticed that the resulting text was a light gray. Zooming in showed that because the text was so fine that the alpha channel started to go upwards towards being opaque.

So for instance if you create a dark solid, then make a thin rectangle mask on it, zoom in and make it even thinner, taking note of its alpha value, as you get thin enough the alpha channel starts to go up rapidly. I really would like to know if there is any way to get around this.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: How do you force complete transparency on a thin mask? Cause this one wont go completely transparent.
on Mar 8, 2012 at 2:13:59 am

I'm not seeing the issue on my end. Perhaps, you can upload an AEP for others to take a look. Should you go this route, please state the AE version.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

David Ghast
Re: How do you force complete transparency on a thin mask? Cause this one wont go completely transparent.
on Mar 8, 2012 at 3:51:07 am

nm, i think i figured it out. when you have a light line, like 1 px wide, (presumably on a dark background), AE tries to blend it. Well when that line is a transparency it adds some of the dark background to it over the alpha channel, effectively lessening the amount of "light" that can pass through the transparency. One way around it is to export in draft mode, but that trashes any thin curves, like a gif. Another way is to create a transparency only comp with the solid in use closest to the color of light your looking to have passed through it, then overlay that on top of the normal darker transparency to increase its perceived light throughput.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]