ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

HDV to DVD (Ae to PP to Encore)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randall LeagueHDV to DVD (Ae to PP to Encore)
by on Mar 6, 2012 at 6:22:16 am

I have a pretty large project, it's an educational course that has a keyed out teacher that I shot with Canon XH A1 in 1080p24. I have added a lot of effects and motion graphics in AE. The total course length is around 20 hours. For the time being the product will only be available thru a standard DVD. I originally was planning on render out of AE a lossless quicktime file, in 1080P, then bringing that in PP and exporting out using Adobe MEdia Encoder as a mpeg2 or mpeg2 dvd file, then importing that into encore.I figured that in the future if I wanted to offer the product in HD It would be more or less ready. I did some tests and it I was satisfied with the results. But now that I've started rendering out the whole project it would seem that I grossly underestimated the amount of time it would take to render out 20 hours of 1080P in AE and the size of the uncompressed files. Now I'm thinking that I should just render out from AE a High quality SD widescreen composition, thinking it would save time and space.

Am I wrong for assuming this?

If I do go that way is it as simple as taking my 1080 HDV composition and dropping it into a SD widescreen composition and resizing it? What should I do for the aspect ratio?

As always all replies are much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: HDV to DVD (Ae to PP to Encore)
by on Mar 6, 2012 at 1:33:08 pm

By the time it reaches the DVD, it will be SD anyway, so the fewer steps needed to get there, the better off you'll be. Since both AME and Encore will let you directly import an AE comp, why not go that route? No need to go through PP at all.

Question...your post makes it seem that you are trying to get the whole 20 hours onto a single DVD. Are you?

98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'.

Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Randall LeagueRe: HDV to DVD (Ae to PP to Encore)
by on Mar 6, 2012 at 2:06:52 pm

Well , I'm going from AE to PP because I've never had any luck with audio (voice overs, sound effects) in AE. And because the individual classes are 10-20 minutes, I think it would be too much working in AE, so I broke them down to 1-5 minute scenes.

The course is setup in 7 distinct stages so I am trying to keep everything down to 7 DVD's in total. Each stage a seperate DVD.

I did some tests and downgrading to a SD comp and rendering it had no effect in render time, it was almost exactly the same as the HD comp. The files sizes were different but I'm more worried about the render times. My fastest times have been for a 40 sec comp that rendered at 50 minutes. The long end is for a 3 minute comp that renders out in 7 hours.

I forgot to add my computers specs to the original post. I'm working on Windows 7, 64 bit. Intel core 2 Quad q8400, 8GB RAM. I wonder if upgrading to 16GB RAM would make a big difference?I've found that at 8GB of RAM, multiprocessing takes more time to render files.

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: HDV to DVD (Ae to PP to Encore)
by on Mar 6, 2012 at 5:20:15 pm

[Randall League] "I did some tests and downgrading to a SD comp and rendering it had no effect in render time, it was almost exactly the same as the HD comp."

Probably because regardless of a comp's resolution, it's still pointing to the same media files, and that's what is being transcoded.

[Randall League] " I am trying to keep everything down to 7 DVD's in total."

Whew!

[Randall League] "Well , I'm going from AE to PP because I've never had any luck with audio (voice overs, sound effects) in AE."

Understandable. AE isn't very adept at audio editing.

[Randall League] "My fastest times have been for a 40 sec comp that rendered at 50 minutes."

Wow! That doesn't sound right, but then again, I'm using 25GB of RAM. At any rate, RAM is pretty inexpensive these days, and it certainly wouldn't hurt to add some.

Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: HDV to DVD (Ae to PP to Encore)
by on Mar 6, 2012 at 7:41:28 pm

[Randall League] "If I do go that way is it as simple as taking my 1080 HDV composition and dropping it into a SD widescreen composition and resizing it?"

Is the footage in the form of HDV files? That could be the killer right there. AE has to do a lot of time-wasting decompression for the compositing.

...which probably means you painted yourself into a corner at this point. But then, we don't know anything about your system, which could make a big difference.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]