ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Animating text within an object using a mask?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael JonesAnimating text within an object using a mask?
by on Mar 4, 2012 at 7:47:17 pm

I'm relatively new to AE but I thought I had the concept of masks down pat but I can't accomplish something that I imagine is rather simple. I have the following objects in my composition: I want to key some text within the GREY triangular object in the foreground, and have it float right to left, but I want the boundaries of the triangle to define the boundaries of the text. So, in other words, if the text is within the grey triangle, moving from right to left, the text would get cut off and eventually disappear as it meets the edge of the triangle that touches the stripes background. I tried using the Pen tool and creating a mask around the triangle, but when I re-position the text, the entire mask moves. I want the text to move WITHIN the mask. Am I going about it the wrong way? Do I need to create an alpha within the grey triangle?

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Animating text within an object using a mask?
by on Mar 4, 2012 at 8:42:22 pm

A track matte would be a better approach.

Return to posts index

Michael JonesRe: Animating text within an object using a mask?
by on Mar 4, 2012 at 9:12:56 pm

Hi, Brian, thanks for your quick response. I checked out the link you sent and forgive my inexperience but I'm not sure how that will achieve what I'm trying to do. Using the link you provided and watching the animation that came with it, the track matte was used to obscure a static grid, but I want my text to animate from right to left. So I was thinking, using the link you provided as an example, I can create a solid next to the grey triangle and place the solid over the text layer in the comp so that the text would move underneath the solid and disappear, but then I couldn't figure out how to keep the solid from obscuring the striped background. Again, sorry for my lack of knowledge with AE, your suggestion may be the answer, but i can't figure it out!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Animating text within an object using a mask?
by on Mar 4, 2012 at 9:14:14 pm

I agree with Brian that a track matte is probably the easiest way to do this, but you can also use the Pan behind tool

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved