ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

adjusting keyframes over many layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Martinadjusting keyframes over many layers
by on Feb 28, 2012 at 12:49:54 pm

Hi

I have over 200 layers of paint stokes and all are keyframed. Is there any way I adjust the keyframes so that they all start at zero and end at 5 secs without having to go in and do it all manually?
Any help would be grafefully appreciated.

Cheers

Jake

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: adjusting keyframes over many layers
by on Feb 28, 2012 at 4:31:34 pm

you could look for a script at aescripts.com or aenhancers.com, there may be something out there.

you could try an expression like this that should re-time the keyframed animation for a given proeprty:

dur = 5; // value in seconds
t = linear(time-inPoint, 0, dur, key(1).time, key(numKeys).time);
valueAtTime(t);

set the 'dur' (duration) variable as needed, currently it is set to 5 based on your post.

the expression bases the start of the animation at the layers inPoint, so if all layers have an inpoint at zero, they will all start at time zero. sliding a layer in the timeline (or trimming the inpoint) will change when it starts it's animation.

the expression would need to be on all animated properties for a given layer.. so, say position and opacity are animated, the expression would need to be on both properties.

if all brush stroke animations have the same animated properties, once you have set the expression for one layer, you can select those properties and the choose edit>copy expressions only, then select all the other brush stroke layers and paste to put the expression(s) on all 200 layers.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Jake MartinRe: adjusting keyframes over many layers
by on Feb 29, 2012 at 8:56:29 am

Hi Kevin

Thanks for your help. I tried it but the stroke options only variable is a percentage and this remains at 0%. I am using the brush on the footage not the comp so no time varibale is actually being keyframed.
I guess it manually moving them.

Jake

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: adjusting keyframes over many layers
by on Mar 1, 2012 at 8:45:47 pm

hi jake, sorry i didn't get back sooner (i'm sure you're done with this by now)...

but the expression should have worked for just about any keyframed property that i can think of. it looks at the time of the first keyframe and the last keyframe and then re-interpolates (stretches) the animation to fit the specified duration. even if you had a hundred keyframes in between, it should stretch the animation appropriately.

however it would not work if the animation was derived from another expression, or from parenting to another layer.

just to check, i did try it on the stroke effect's start property -- i keyframed the from 0 to 100 over 10 seconds, and the expression retimed it to 5 seconds. but i may be missing how you have things set up.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]