ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Background scrolling into distance?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex HutchinsonBackground scrolling into distance?
by on Feb 27, 2012 at 11:12:24 pm

Hi guys!

New poster but have been quietly lurking for some time. Lovely tutorials and amazingly useful resource! However, I'm in a spot of bother that I can't seem to find a solution for.

We're working on a small animation project and have a scene with a background a bit like this:

(just a mockup from the animatic!)

The idea is to have a character running on the spot, with the background (bushes on either side of the path and the path itself) scrolling into the distance, preferably on a loop so we can simply repeat it for the entire length of the shot (about 10 seconds). What would be the most straightforward way to accomplish this? I've had a few thoughts, but they seem a little convulted — mostly involving animating each bush and path pattern by hand which is laborious and problematic if we need to tweak the length of the shot.

I was thinking that a loopout/cycle expression would be the best way to go, but the problem is getting the backdrop to loop seamlessly in the first place!

Apologies if this is a bit of a novice question — still fairly new to After Effects and been staring at a screen all day, so am a bit frazzled and probably overlooking a really simple or obvious solution. Many thanks in advance for any suggestions! :)

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Background scrolling into distance?
by on Feb 28, 2012 at 1:48:43 am

A single bush applied with Effect>Stylize>Motion Tile should give you the repetitions you require. Then animate Motion Tile's Tile Center property.

Make the layer 3D and set its y-rotation to taste.

For a seamless loop, view the Tile Center's property in terms of % of source. To do this, initiate the contextual menu (right mouse button click on the said property) and choose Edit Value. A pop dialog will appear. Change units to %of source. Set this value in multiples of 50 (150,250 etc) to achieve a seamless loop.

The 'ground' layer can be created analogously.

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Alex HutchinsonRe: Background scrolling into distance?
by on Mar 2, 2012 at 5:45:08 pm

Apologies for the late response! I just wanted to say that this worked absolutely perfectly; thank you so much for your help! :]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved