ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Transform Node

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eddie Gali
Transform Node
on Feb 27, 2012 at 4:13:18 pm

Hey folks,

So I've been trying to find out what a transform node is. I found some descriptions for other specific programs besides AE or people saying to use a transform node for certain things in AE, but I don't actually know what one is and the Adobe help doesn't have anything on it. Could anyone give me a brief description? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Transform Node
on Feb 27, 2012 at 5:51:02 pm

AE does not use Nodes. You have the Layer's own transform controls and you can also parent a layer to a Null Layer - basically an invisible layer that gives you a new set of transform controls. Than comes in pretty handy if you want to move, rotate or resize a bunch of layers at the same time while keeping the same relation between them. You would link all layers that you want to affect to the same Null Layer.

For more:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/rabinowitz_aharon/Null_Objects.php

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Eddie Gali
on Feb 29, 2012 at 5:50:22 pm

Thanks for the response. Ted! I appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 27, 2012 at 5:53:59 pm

[Eddie Gali] "So I've been trying to find out what a transform node is. I found some descriptions for other specific programs besides AE or people saying to use a transform node for certain things in AE, but I don't actually know what one is and the Adobe help doesn't have anything on it."

That's because there are no nodes in After Effects. Other compositing apps like Nuke, Fusion, and dear departed Shake were nodal; AE is layer-based.

You can use a layer's transform properties (Position, Anchor Point, Scale), or you can add the Transform effect (only recommended if you need to work around AE's default render order).

If you're new to After Effects, I'd recommend the following link, in which Adobe's Todd Kopriva pulls together some important introductory materials:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

I especially recommend the Video Copilot "Basic Training" series that Todd links to.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Eddie Gali
on Feb 29, 2012 at 5:51:13 pm

I've watched a few of those Video Copilot tutorials and I will be making sure to finish them off soon. Thank you Walter!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]