ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Pixelated PSD files

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard LutzPixelated PSD files
by on Feb 27, 2012 at 4:46:32 am

I'm working on a animation using a lot of PSD files. I'm working with another designer who is building things and then sending them to me.

I just looked at his settings and they are CMYK and 300 DPI. After converting to RGB I tried importing things but I feel like I'm losing my image quality in the process. Everything just seems pixelated. Why would this be?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Pixelated PSD files
by on Feb 27, 2012 at 10:40:05 am

[Richard Lutz] "I just looked at his settings and they are CMYK and 300 DPI. After converting to RGB I tried importing things but I feel like I'm losing my image quality in the process. Everything just seems pixelated."

DPI doesn't matter to AE -- pixels do.

DPI is dots per inch. You can have a 300 DPI image, but if it's only one inch square, it's only 300 by 300 pixels and won't look good stretched to full screen in a standard definition comp, let alone a high-def comp. Contrariwise, a 72 DPI image that 36x24 inches wide would yield 2,592x1,728 -- plenty big enough.

AE tells you the resolution of the image in the project panel -- just select one of the images and look next to the thumbnail.

Other possible culprits: draft mode in AE or pixel aspect ratio correction (which looks jagged in the viewer, but actually renders cleanly).

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]