ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE render to apple ProRes422 looks soft inFCP

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lucinda clutterbuckAE render to apple ProRes422 looks soft inFCP
by on Feb 27, 2012 at 2:15:44 am

I am hoping some one can help me.

I am reconstructing a stop motion animation film made with 3504 x 2336 (1.00)still jpegs
The student had imported the stills into FCP by setting the still duration at 2 frames. She needed to stabilise some shots and we want a master for distribution and film festivals.

I thought it would be better to start again and bring the stills into AE and render them out using apple ProRes 422 so the editor could redo sound and grade etc.

We also need to resize, rotate and scale some of the frames. My first try was to bring the stills in as a jpeg sequence into AE but I was not sure when to resize the comp.I have had so much trouble with the work flow between FCP and EA and I have finally decided to go back to square one and reimport all her stills in AE and keep the project at 3504 x 2336 (1.00) and render out apple ProRes for the FCP editor.

The problem has been that the 440X1080 (1.33) apple ProRes 422 we made from her original FCP project with the stills set at 2 looks very sharp on our external monitor when in FCP but when I bring it back into AE to stabilise the shots it looks soft and pixilated and when rendered back out 440X1080 (1.33) apple ProRes 422 looks really much worse in FCP.
I thought we could go back and forth between AE and FCP, other wise whats the point if the FCP editor can get a sharper better result from stills why bother with AE. I have read all the posts about AE and FCP but I am mystified.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: AE render to apple ProRes422 looks soft inFCP
by on Feb 27, 2012 at 10:33:37 am

Assuming an HD deliverable, I would work in a 1920x1080 square pixel comp in AE. Import your image sequence, do your stabilization and repos in AE, then render to ProRes 422.

If you rendered with Best Settings but your footage is coming in soft on the FCP side, you may need to change the field order of the imported clip -- see this thread on AE, FCP, and field order [link].

I'd avoid the thin-raster 1440x1080 1.33 PAR. You're just throwing resolution away.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

lucinda clutterbuckRe: AE render to apple ProRes422 looks soft inFCP
by on Feb 28, 2012 at 11:42:42 am

Thank you.
I will try that. Great to have this COW resource. The deadline for the first festival is over and we put in an ok but not perfect version. Now I can settle down and rework the stuff as you suggest. I will let you know how it goes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved