ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Motion Tracking Very Slow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn L SmithMotion Tracking Very Slow
by on Feb 26, 2012 at 3:19:04 pm

Hi everyone,

I've got a tiff sequence which i'm tracking in After Effects CS5.5 and its tracking every frame really slow, at almost 20seconds per frame. I've not had this problem before so wondered if anyone has any ideas what might be causing it? I have an mid 2011 iMac with 12gb Ram.

This isn't massively worrying as its only a 6 second sequence but for future reference any ideas why this might be happening? I read some posts about it being the codec used but i've tried with a tiff and png sequence and they are both extremely slow. I've tracked h.264 .movs and mp4's with no problems in the past.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Andrew SomersRe: Motion Tracking Very Slow
by on Feb 26, 2012 at 7:53:57 pm

I need more information.

*What kind of TIFF sequence (what resolution and bit depth?)

What in the image are you tracking? Please provide a screenshot of your tracking marker placement and search area size in the frame, and an example of the full frame.

Return to posts index

Glenn L SmithRe: Motion Tracking Very Slow
by on Feb 26, 2012 at 9:14:48 pm

Hey Andrew,

I'm in a 1280 x 720 16 bit project, I'm tracking a part of an old musket rifle which doesn't really move very much at all just sways very steadily. Its so I can apply it to a Null and then parent the null to some explosion effects I have.

Here's a screenshot:

I never took into account the size of the tracking marker I set, maybe that would be the problem?

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Motion Tracking Very Slow
by on Feb 26, 2012 at 9:09:00 pm

Trackers are only involved with pixels within the Search Region for AE's tracker and within layer/splines for mocha. The defined area are usually kept to the bare minimum for point trackers and to the max for planar trackers. Even then planar trackers are really fast.

Why not transcode the image sequence into a QT and use that to compare if AE is taking an inordinate amount of time to read the TIFFs? Once the tracking is done with the QT, you can still use the TIFF sequence as your actual plate.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Glenn L SmithRe: Motion Tracking Very Slow
by on Feb 26, 2012 at 9:16:46 pm

Seems it was just the size of the tracking marker I used, which I definitely should have realised! Oh well always learning!

Thanks for your help guys!

Return to posts index

Andrew SomersRe: Motion Tracking Very Slow
by on Feb 27, 2012 at 7:24:45 am

Yes, AfterEffect's tracker gets very slow on large tracking selections.

Also, AE's tracker likes pointy edges better than round object IMO. I thin you'd do better to track the small dirt/marks around the perimeter than the large round silver object. If you track several constrained points, you can use an expression to average them out for a more stable track.

HOWEVER,

I stopped using AE's tracker completely once I started using Mocha. (or the Pixel Farm products for that matter).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]