ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

spotlight creating moire

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kiyash Monsefspotlight creating moire
by on Feb 26, 2012 at 6:22:52 am

I have a graphic that's composed almost entirely of solid-colored vector shapes. There are no intricate patterns with the exception of a single gradient generated in After Effects. However, when I add a spotlight layer to the mix, and set my layers to cast shadows, I get this very pronounced moire wave across everything. I thought this might have something to do with the position of the light, so I experimented with moving it and changing the angle, but that doesn't seem to affect the moire. When I turn off the light, the moire goes away, but I really want to keep the effect of the light, as it's the only thing that communicates the depth in the scene.

Here's an example:

There's a camera involved as well, but turning it off doesn't seem to affect the moire.

I'm using CS4 on a Mac Quad Intel. Never seen this before. Any ideas as to what's going on and how I can fix it? Thank you in advance Cow forums!

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: spotlight creating moire
by on Feb 26, 2012 at 9:10:49 pm

There have been lots of identical posts on the same issue. Increasing Shadow Map helps (Comp Settings DIalog - Advanced Tab) as well as using a Point Light. Moving affected layers further apart in z-space is another possible solution.

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved