ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Render problem.....deadline looming

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Hiebert
Render problem.....deadline looming
on Feb 26, 2012 at 4:24:47 am

I have a two minute project that I have altered and rendered completely a few times over the past week. Each time I've rendered, I've let it go overnight as it has taken about 7 hours to complete. This afternoon I made one small change and went to do a final render. It got to about the 1 minute mark on the timeline and just hung. I waited for about 10 minutes to ensure that it was indeed hung up and did a reboot and tried to render again. The estimated render time now appears to be around 90 hours!!! I have rebooted numerous times but with the same result.

None of the settings have changed although I did try changing the Open GL setting to Off and seeing if it made a difference. It did not. I opened a back-up file of the same project from a few days ago thinking that perhaps the main file got corrupted but had the same result.

If I open a different AE file that is more straight forward and without lots of effects, it seems to render fine, and at the same speed it always did. I looked at my temperatures on the CPU and Vid Card and all seems normal, although when rendering I don't hear my fan like I used to. That being said, RAM preview works fine and I hear the fan.

What happened?

Each time when I've stopped the render I get a warning that "A frame failed to render while using Render Multiple frames Simultaneously. Allocating more memory to the background processes in Memory & Multiprocessing may fix this problem."

I've always had it set to 20 gigs for AE and 4 for everything else. 3GB RAM allocation per background CPU.

Windows 7 64 bit
Quad Core 2.8 Ghz
24 gig Ram
AE CS5

I have a huuuuuge deadline for mid week and I am panicking.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Render problem.....deadline looming
on Feb 26, 2012 at 5:24:33 am

You're not using the recommended memory settings [link]. Try increasing RAM allocated to other processes to 8 GB.

If that's still not working, you could make more RAM available to the renderers by increasing the number of CPUs reserved for other applications, or by disabling multiprocessing entirely.

I also recommend rendering to image sequences instead of movies, especially for long renders. If your render fails for any reason, you can easily pick up right where you left off with an image sequence. If you need to make a small change that only affects a limited number of frames, you can save time by only re-rendering the affected frames instead of the entire animation.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave Hiebert
on Feb 26, 2012 at 3:25:02 pm

I tried re-rendering last night with the recommended settings. I got up this morning and it had gotten about 10 seconds further but locked up again.

I am currently trying an image sequence but same thing....it starts out okay then just completely bogs down to the point that I'm rendering 1 frame every two-three minutes. It's not that difficult a sequence. It's a composition (6000 by 6000) with numerous pictures on it, to look like a bulletin board. That comp is dropped into a 1280 by 720 comp with a camera that flies in and out around the pics. Nothing spectacular at all.

It makes no sense!.....I rendered this thing at least 5 times already earlier without problems.

EEEK!

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Feb 26, 2012 at 4:11:09 pm

Have you tried purging every x number of frames in the secret prefs? If indeed this is a memory issue it might help.

To access the secret prefs press the Shift key as you select Preferences > General from the menu.

I see an earlier post from you relating to Motion Blur with the same project, depending on your settings this could demand large memory resources to render, particularly since the nested Comp is 6000 X 6000 pixels.

Return to posts index

Dave Hiebert
on Feb 26, 2012 at 9:04:42 pm

Thanks for the tip....although it didn't change anything. I am currently doing a image sequence render, but it says it will take another day or so to complete.....just crazy....its just STILLS!!

At any rate, it only renders for while and then locks up so I have to stay with it so I can restart when it hangs.

Again, I rendered this file numerous times over the week with no problems. I'm just about ready to "format c"

:(

Return to posts index

Ed Blackford
on Feb 26, 2012 at 10:22:14 pm

try taking the AE file to someone elses computer and render it. could be a temp fix until you figure out what is wrong w/ your computer.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 27, 2012 at 10:58:13 am

[Dave Hiebert] "Thanks for the tip....although it didn't change anything. I am currently doing a image sequence render, but it says it will take another day or so to complete.....just crazy....its just STILLS!! At any rate, it only renders for while and then locks up so I have to stay with it so I can restart when it hangs."

Yikes.

What did you try setting the secret purge value to? Leaving it at 0 keeps purging off; setting it at 1 forces AE to purge its caches after rendering a single frame, and setting it to 30 should cause AE to purge its caches after rendering a second's worth of video. The higher you set that number, the faster your machine will render, but the more likely it is to run into a memory problem. The lower you set that number (down to 1, not 0), the slower your machine will render, but the more likely you are to avoid a memory problem.

Please note that the secret preferences are hidden for a reason: they can be very helpful when you're suffering render failures like this, but leaving them on for normal work will slow down performance considerably.

It may be too late for this, by you could work around this problem by changing your workflow. Putting everything in a 6000x6000 precomp dramatically increases memory requirements. A 1280x720 frame requires 3.5 MB at 8bpc, but each 6k square frame requires 137 MB. It's almost 40 times bigger.

You could work with your images directly in your main comp and use parenting [link] or a camera [link] with 3D layers to achieve the same effect more easily.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Dave Hiebert
on Feb 27, 2012 at 6:53:40 pm

Thanks, everyone for all your help. I managed to get an image sequence rendered and can now complete my project.

Whew!...Couldn't have done it without ya. That being said, I am using a GTX 460 video card. How much improvement, if any, would I see going to a lower end Quadro card. Would it be worth it?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 27, 2012 at 7:01:26 pm

[Dave Hiebert] "Thanks, everyone for all your help. I managed to get an image sequence rendered and can now complete my project."

Glad to hear it -- and you're welcome.

[Dave Hiebert] "I am using a GTX 460 video card. How much improvement, if any, would I see going to a lower end Quadro card. Would it be worth it?"

AE itself renders on the CPU, not the GPU, so it won't matter. The GTX 460 is a good value for the money for those few third-party plugins which can render on the GPU.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]