ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Render SettingsIssue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave SimpsonRender SettingsIssue
by on Feb 24, 2012 at 7:28:25 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm sure something like this gets asked a lot but I can't quite find a post that helps so here's the problem.
I have created a project that needs to be delivered in both 720 x 480 DV, and DVCPRO HD 1080i.
I did the compositing in a Comp set to DVCPRO HD 1080 29.97 then just dropped that comp into a 720 x 480 and letter boxed it. When I render the 720x480 comp with DV settings it looks great in Final cut and Media 100. When I render the large comp with DVCPRO HD settings It looks all jagged around the edges.

The comp consists of a PSD file logo off the top, followed by some video inside of a frame that is animated on and off screen. Both the box the video is in and the video it self is jagged. I have some balloons I created out of solids with Text in them that are animated in after that, and they all have issues around the edges when they move.

I did try rendering in Animation than exporting it out of final cut to the DVCPRO HD settings but when I bring it back in it has the same problems on a new sequence with the DVCPRO HD settings.

I have even tried changing to lower filed and not rendering fields and get the same poor result.

Sadly I am using an old sony media converter box to view this on an NTSC monitor. Could that be the issue?

It reminds me of other times when I have mistakenly started with a 720x486 comp and tried to render this to DV 720x480 and get that same jagged look.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Dave Simpson

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Render SettingsIssue
by on Feb 24, 2012 at 7:58:08 pm

Wow, an M100! I haven't heard about one of those in YEARS!

I'm just joking, but do you still drive an Oldsmobile or Pontiac?

1080 video is upper field first, even when shot progressive scan: Progressive Segmented Frame, y'know. I'm guessing that may be the cause of your woes. Can an M100 even read DVCPro HD without rendering to its own proprietary codec?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave SimpsonRe: Render SettingsIssue
by on Feb 27, 2012 at 3:08:41 pm

Hello Dave,

Thanks for the reply. As it turns out it was the Sony Media converter, the file actually looks okay on a proper HD setup. AND, funnily enough I still do have a 94 Pontiac Grand AM I use sometimes as a Winter Beater/ Take the dog to the beach car!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved