ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How to "Speed up" after effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jakob RayeHow to "Speed up" after effects?
by on Feb 24, 2012 at 6:59:34 pm

Well, I've got After Effects CS4 on Win7, and I have 8 gigs of 1600mhz DDR3 RAM, an AMD 2.6 Quad Core processor on a 7200rpm 1TB HDD.

I have been learning to use after effects to create some cool effects and intros for videos, and it was running relatively smooth for a while, but recently, it becomes bogged down from the get-go. Before, I'd have had to turn on some DOF or something for it to get seriously laggy, but now as soon as I create pretty much anything, it takes a while to catch up. Is there a way to speed it up via a setting? Perhaps allocating more ram or something?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How to "Speed up" after effects?
by on Feb 24, 2012 at 7:49:27 pm

First thing: if you have Open GL turned on to accelerate rendering, turn it off and leave it off. Adobe employees don't use it when rendering, and you shouldn't, either.

And since you still run AE 9, I get to use an old copy 'n paste response to the most common cause of that version's woes:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jakob RayeRe: How to "Speed up" after effects?
by on Feb 24, 2012 at 7:53:13 pm

It seems like turning off OpenGL actually helped a little! :D Any little bit helps when I am trying to work on a project. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: How to "Speed up" after effects?
by on Feb 25, 2012 at 2:09:32 am

See this page for resources about making After Effects work faster:

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved