ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Glow from a door

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Van SchuyverGlow from a door
by on Feb 23, 2012 at 10:46:29 pm

What would be the best way to get a glow to shine from an opening door. I have been playing with a few things and just can't seem to get it right. Also would there be anything i could do during filming to improve the effect? Any direction/help is appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Glow from a door
by on Feb 23, 2012 at 11:07:49 pm

Practical effects are always best, but we don't have enough details about the shot to say if they'd work.

On location or on a set?
If on location, what's behind the door?
Does the door magically open?
Does talent open the door?
Does talent stand between camera & door at an angle sufficient for this glow envelop talent?
Once the door opens, anything behind the door that should be visible amid the glow?

These aren't just piddly questions: they're important considerations when planning an effect.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Glow from a door
by on Feb 24, 2012 at 11:21:08 am

Dave gave you some food for thought- it's best to think before all details and post as many of them as you can to get better feedback.
One thing I found useful is to animate a mask on a white layer in the shape of the space between the door and the door frame as it opens and then apply Trapcode Shine or just a regular AE Glow. Work in 32 bit though.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Justin Van SchuyverRe: Glow from a door
by on Feb 24, 2012 at 11:39:46 am

Sorry I forgot to get these details in I was traveling at the time.

The door will be on-location shot in the evening just before the sun sets. The door is an external door to a youth room at a church and it will open "by itself". There will be no talent in the shot and noting inside the door other than the green glow. As the door opens I wish the glows intensity to grow as the door opens to full. Once the door opens full the glow should fill the scene where we can fade in a slide.

This is a promotion for a youth game night event on St. Patrick's day for our church, that is why I want to use the green. Personally I was started by duplicating the footage then used Trapcode Shine to create the glow and added some fractal noise to create some smoke. Then just animate. It looked ok and could probably could work but something just didn't seem right so I decided to see how others would do it.

If I missed any details let me know and I'd be happy to get them to you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved