ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

New Mac, New HD camera...Long long time to edit in after effects :(

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg BossonNew Mac, New HD camera...Long long time to edit in after effects :(
by on Feb 23, 2012 at 9:30:42 pm

Hello all! This is my first time posting here and i am pretty new to the whole video editing thing so apologies when my questions inevitably seem silly/obvious, please bare with me :).

Basically i have shot a lot of footage with a Sony Nex VG20 at 1080p 50fps, taken the .mts files off the camera onto my iMac and tried to edit in AE. I havnt compressed or converted the .mts' as i thought my mac could handle it... silly me. My specs are 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 gig memory, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB. I mean AE can play it smoothly enough initially, but when i add any effect or try and alter it in any way, a short clip can take ages to preview. I know i should use a lossless codec or something but I have no idea which one, and to be quite honest even how to implement this.

Oh before i forget, i actually did convert some of the .mts' to other file types but in each case the quality was either nowhere near as good or the file size was actually bigger than the original somehow. Quality is a top priority for me.

Is there any way to edit a lower quality version of the footage, then export a finished higher quality one?
Am i just going to have to plow on with editing the .mts and be patient?

I have done some research on transcoding, converting, codecs, proxy's but by the end my head was just spinning. Sorry i know this must be very tedious to some of you more experienced folk, but hey, we all have to start somewhere!

Thanks in advance!
Greg

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: New Mac, New HD camera...Long long time to edit in after effects :(
by on Feb 23, 2012 at 9:36:23 pm

Oh, please, do yourself a big, big favor and DO NOT try to edit in After Effects!

To my knowledge, there is one popular application that is a worse video editor, and that's Microsoft Word. Or Excel.

Use a video editing application. Then find out how to ingest you camera footage into it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: New Mac, New HD camera...Long long time to edit in after effects :(
by on Feb 23, 2012 at 9:59:19 pm

Along with what Dave says about AE not being an editor, it's can also be an extremely frustrating program. This program has a real steep learning curve, especially if you are coming at it from scratch. I've been editing since the late 90's and started using AE back in '00 and I find myself learning new stuff with it everyday.

Todd Kopriva of Adobe put together a great list of resources to help out new people with AE. Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, & CS5.5)

The Cow also has quite a few AE Basics Tuts

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Greg BossonRe: New Mac, New HD camera...Long long time to edit in after effects :(
by on Feb 23, 2012 at 10:18:00 pm

Thanks guys for your swift response.

When i said 'editing' i only meant using colour correction/timewarp etc, is this wrong? I have premiere pro as well as AE, am i right in saying i should cut and edit in Premiere pro render (or export?... I keep wanting to say bounce) it down then edit this 'dry' footage in AE? Sorry if i use the wrong terminology, i am used to editing audio material.

Thanks again.
Greg

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: New Mac, New HD camera...Long long time to edit in after effects :(
by on Feb 23, 2012 at 10:44:06 pm

Your terminology is off, but you got the gist of the workflow.

I don't use Premiere, but you can dynamically link projects from pro into AE...that is you don't have to export render out files to AE to color correct/timewarp or effect them.

Here's some info on Dynamic Linking

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Greg BossonRe: New Mac, New HD camera...Long long time to edit in after effects :(
by on Feb 23, 2012 at 10:47:56 pm

Awesome, i have a lot or learning to do but am looking forward to it! Thanks again for your help i was starting to panic!

Greg

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: New Mac, New HD camera...Long long time to edit in after effects :(
by on Feb 23, 2012 at 10:56:31 pm

You can't ingest video directly into AE from a camera; it lacks that capability. It's never had it, nor do I ever think it will. You can only import already-ingested media files into AE, so you can use Premiere to do it.

It's always good practice to cut first, then do the effects work. It greatly reduces the amount of needless rendering -- a big, fat time-killer and storage-waster -- in AE.

You can import entire Premiere Projects into AE; I've never done it, because I cut on FCP. I believe they come in as separate layers in an AE comp. Then simply render using the AE render queue; don't export.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]