ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Crumpled Paper Animated Background Texture

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin BanksCrumpled Paper Animated Background Texture
by on Feb 23, 2012 at 4:44:51 am

I'm looking to create a background that is the texture of crumpled ruled/lined paper.

I'm am thinking of scanning in say 20 different pieces of crumpled lined paper and then placing the scans on a timeline as still frames and loop through the 2o still images to create the effect of the crumples changing.

I want to use this moving texture as an overlay on a sequence I'm editing.

What I was wondering there a way in After Effects CS5 to create that effect without having to do the scanning? Perhaps using expresions or fractal noise? I've not really used either of those functions fully before, but I understand that they can be used to recreate random animated textures, as well as many other uses. Perhaps I'm wrong.

If anyone might be able to suggest a method then I would be grateful. No worries if not, I'll go ahead with the scanning, however I would prefer a different way :)

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Crumpled Paper Animated Background Texture
by on Feb 23, 2012 at 9:06:13 am

You could use Free Form (comes free with AE) or FreeForm Pro (if you have the extra cash), to create a true 3d displacement using a depth map. You can create a depth map that simulates crumpled paper using Fractal Noise. So, all you need is one scan of the paper and the above to get what you need.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Crumpled Paper Animated Background Texture
by on Feb 23, 2012 at 3:34:02 pm

Don't rule out doing it in-camera.

You could crumple paper, take a shot, mess with the crumple, take another shot, and so on. Take as many as you like, but I'd think ten would do it. Import the shots as an image sequence, set the frame rate to about 8 fps, loop the sequence a dozen or more times, and you're set.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved