ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

h.264 - mp4 vs mov

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Young
h.264 - mp4 vs mov
on Feb 22, 2012 at 5:47:55 pm

When I render I have 2 options.
1) Render as quicktime output module, using h.264 compression setting a % as the level of quality
2) Render as h.264 output module, setting bitrate as the level of quality.

What's the difference between these? Anything?

Also, what's considered a good bitrate for 1080p output?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: h.264 - mp4 vs mov
on Feb 22, 2012 at 6:25:42 pm

Since we have no idea about what you're expected to deliver, we can give no useful response to your question.

You ought to be able to use a lot more codecs than H.264 when making quicktime movies. Are you looking through ALL the various check boxes and options? I don't think so........

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Justin Young
on Feb 22, 2012 at 9:20:07 pm

Well for this particular project I'm delivering as h.264 which is why I asked specifically about that.....

The first part is simply a technical question, shouldn't matter what I'm expected to deliver...I'm just trying to figure out what the difference is between using the quicktime module to output h264 vs using the h264 output module.

And the second part of the question was more a general "what's gonna give me a high quality with no color banding etc"

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 22, 2012 at 9:46:48 pm

I wouldn't do this in AE. AE can't do multipass encoding as Adobe Media Encoder can. Multipass results in a combination of the highest-quality H.264 images for the smallest possible file size. AE isn't built for multipass.

You best bet would be to render a lossless file from AE, then use it in AME for the conversion.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Justin Young
on Feb 29, 2012 at 4:50:37 am

That's good advice. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]