ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Precomping with continous rasterizing makes effects lose their positions.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Ricker
Precomping with continous rasterizing makes effects lose their positions.
on Feb 21, 2012 at 11:53:16 pm

I have 3 pictures, i've position, and then I have precomped them.
I turn continous rasterizing on for the precomp layer.
I apply cc page turn, and bend the corners of this comp, so it looks like a bendy photograph.
I then precomp the precomp
Turn on continous rasterizing for this precomp
Attach the precomp layer to a null and animate around.

Issue is, the cc page turn is not locked still with the previous precomp.
As i zoom, or move, the page turn effect goes haywi!

I then tried this with puppet tool and many other distort effects and the same thing happens.
If you are continually rasterizing you cannot lock the effect into position on a previous precomp.

Is there a work around to this, that someone knows?

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Precomping with continous rasterizing makes effects lose their positions.
on Feb 22, 2012 at 4:18:49 am

Switch off Continuous Rasterization for the first comp in the nesting hierarchy. You do not need to rasterize this layer unless you are scaling a vector/solid higher than 100%.

I suggest that you take a look at your setup and decide if you really need that many nested comps. Take note that nesting is supposed to help you streamline your work to make it more manageable but it has its setbacks when nested comps are Continuously Rasterized. IOW, use nesting only if you need it to streamline an otherwise complex composition and use Continuous Rasterization only as a matter of last resort - ie to preserve 3D-ness of layers (from the precomp) in the current comp or if the nested comp is scaled above 100% in the current comp (provided that the cumulative scale percentage across affected comps do not exceed 10%% - this of course is only relevant for raster images).

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Craig Ricker
on Feb 22, 2012 at 4:33:41 am

Brilliant! Turning of rasterisation on the first comp worked a treat, and indeed with that working I dont need to do the second precomp now, I can just attach to a null for the movements at the second comp layer.

P.S - not sure I understood the second half of your answer though, the bit to do with 10%?

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Feb 22, 2012 at 5:01:58 am

[Craig Ricker] "P.S - not sure I understood the second half of your answer though, the bit to do with 10%?"

Me too! ;-)
It's a typo - it should read 100% instead of 10%.

To make a short story long - ;-)

With raster imagery, Collapse Transformations (CT) is applicable only when they are nested. When CT is switched on, Transform Properties from both comps, the precomp and the nested comp, are concatenated into a single mathematical operation. Without CT, Transform Properties are calculated once, starting from the lower level comp (the precomp) and then a second time in the higher level comp (when it is a nested comp).

If the precomp had a scale value of 20% and after nesting it was scaled up to 200%, the image will be pixelated without CT. This should be expected since Scale Transforms are calculated from a base value of 100% without CT. A value of 200% for scale for a raster image will result in pixelation.

With the same scenario BUT with CT turned on, the Transforms are calculated only once. The Transforms from both compositions are calculated once - the math (20% of 200) = 40% of the original image.

If you had scaled the precomp to 50% and then scaled it upwards to 200%; your final scale value, as per AE's calculations will be 50% of 200 = 100%.

If you had scaled the precomp to 50% and then scaled it upwards to 400%; your final scale value, as per AE's calculations will be 50% of 400 = 200%. With this scenario, you end up with 200% of the original image - pixelation will occur.

BTW, in the earlier post where I mentioned Vector/Solid, I meant Solids with Continuously Rasterize enabled - which is not the case by default.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

Craig Ricker
on Feb 22, 2012 at 5:05:55 am

All very clear now, many thanks for your excellent help!

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Feb 22, 2012 at 5:19:34 am

You're welcome Craig.

BTW, when applying Distorto effects, as a rule of thumb, (when I remember to do so) it's almost always better to apply it at the top of the comp hierarchy. The application and results are usually more intuitive.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

Benjamin Ausmith
on Feb 22, 2012 at 7:00:45 pm

I'm assuming that was supposed to say 100%. Continuous rasterization will resample sublayers if you're scaling more than 100%, to preserve the resolution. Otherwise, you're basically shrinking something down and then enlarging it, and losing data inbetween.

Benjamin Ausmith
Post-Production Assistant
Monadnock Media, inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]