ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Problem with exponential scaling ...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steve dann
Problem with exponential scaling ...
on Feb 20, 2012 at 10:17:00 pm

I'm scaling a layer from 10% to 100% while moving it across the frame in a straight line over the same duration.

Problem is that the scaling doesn't happen at a uniform rate but choosing exponential scaling to achieve that means the change in position is no longer a straight line but a curve. Can't work how to get around this but suspect I need to know more about keyframe interpolation? Appreciate any suggestions.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Problem with exponential scaling ...
on Feb 20, 2012 at 10:36:24 pm

It sounds like you're modifying the wrong property. Are you using Exponential Scale as explained here:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

Exponential Scale is designed to used on 2D layers.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

steve dann
on Feb 20, 2012 at 11:06:33 pm

Yes, that's what I doing. I'm wondering if pre comping then time remapping is part of the answer so that having sorted the scaling aIR then apply the positioning to the pre comp. Would that work?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 20, 2012 at 11:14:33 pm

Now, when you say "the position changes from a straight line to curved", are you talking about what you see in 1) the Graph Editor or 2) the layer's Motion Path?

The first one's an east fix: change Keyframe Interpolation for the position property to Linear. Done.

The second one is just weird.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

steve dann
on Feb 21, 2012 at 9:02:21 am

Yep, I'm doing the weird thing. I need to learn about the keyframe graph editor I assumed that keyframes were linear to start with. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'll have another crack ASAP.
Cheers.

Return to posts index

steve dann
on Feb 21, 2012 at 1:32:30 pm

Yep, I am doing the weird thing. Sounds like I need to learn all about keyframes and graph editors. Actually thought my k/f were linear as default but will investigate further. Thus US not as simple as I thought. Many Thanjs for pointing me in the right direction.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 21, 2012 at 3:45:29 pm

This is really easy to do. It's dead simple:
  • Start with the Scale Property: scale to 10% and set a keyframe.
  • Go down the timeline and change the scale to 100%. Poof! Another keyframe appears.
  • While the CTI is on the second keyframe, highlight both keyframes and use Exponential Scale.
  • Move the CTI back to the first Scale keyframe. Open the Position property, position the layer as desired and set a Position keyframe.
  • Go to the second SCALE keyframe. Reposition the layer. Poof! Another position keyframe appears.
You're done. Everything should be fine. If you still have a curved motion path, there is something fundamentally wrong with your software and you'll need to provide much more information.

If you're trying to use AE intuitively -- a common and almost-always fatal error -- you really need to pay a visit here:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jon Bagge
on Feb 21, 2012 at 3:51:17 pm

Exponential scaling is a pain. You lose the ability to easy in/out for example.

I'd recommend forgetting all about it and use a 3D camera instead. Put a camera in your scene, make your layer 3D, and move the camera. It may sound unnecessary to go 3D but it will make panning and zooming at the same time much easier.

--------------
http://www.jonbagge.net
Jon Bagge - Editor - London, UK
Avid - FCP - After Effects

Return to posts index

steve dann
on Feb 24, 2012 at 1:17:05 pm

Now that's a great idea, can't wait to try it. Many thanks.

Return to posts index

steve dann
on Feb 24, 2012 at 1:13:59 pm

Many thanks for all the help, much appreciated. Got to the stage where I couldn't work it out for myself and couldn't find info in the manual.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Kay Brooks
on Jul 28, 2014 at 2:40:52 pm

RE: simple setting keyframes process after scaling

FYI - this process doesn't work if you want to zoom out from something and it's not EXACTLY in the center of the frame. Only the 3D camera will work if you're starting in tight off center, and then zooming out to a full wide shot.

I'm sure it works if you're working with a really really simple animation, but if you're looking to emulate camera moves, the only thing that works is using a camera.

Just my 2 cents.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]