ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE Memory error on 2nd pass of Warp Stabilization

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy SimsAE Memory error on 2nd pass of Warp Stabilization
by on Feb 20, 2012 at 8:26:36 pm

I am trying to warp stabilize some aerial camera material in AE warp stabilization. AE spends about 12 hours doing the step 1 of 2 of warp stab but when it gets to 2 of 2 it hangs with the following error:

After Effects: Unable to allocate 0,000 MB memory. Either decrease the memory requirments for rendering of this frame, or install more RAM. (12803 / U_MemTrackedObject.

If I cancel that error I get the following error:

After Effects error: Unable to allocate enough mempry to render the current frame (960x540) @ 8 bpc). Either decrease the memory requirments for the rendering of this frame, or install more RAM. (12805). For more information, see http://www.adobe.com/go/learn_ae_mem

I did a search of the forums and looked at the suggested webpage and tried changing the ram settings to those show below but I still get the same fault. Details as follows:

Material:
MP4 Codec MP42 1920x1080i 25fps 35Mbs Duration 12m45s

Edit Hardware:
Core 2 Quad Q4800 P5Q-SE2 8GB RAM Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

AE memory settings:
Installed RAM 8GB / RAM for other apps: 2GB / RAM for AE etc: 6GB / Render multiple frames enabled / Installed CPU's 4 / CPU's reserved for other apps: 1 / RAM allocation per background CPU 2GB / Actual CPU's that will be used 0

That last one about 0 CPU's being used seems odd.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can work through this.

Thanks
Andy

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: AE Memory error on 2nd pass of Warp Stabilization
by on Feb 20, 2012 at 8:40:36 pm

Reboot to free up RAM.

Turn multiprocessing down to 2 CPUs, or turn it off entirely. This will make more RAM available for each AE renderer process.

Do you need all 12:45 of the helicopter pass as a single shot? You may be better off stabilizing shorter clips.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Andy SimsRe: AE Memory error on 2nd pass of Warp Stabilization
by on Feb 20, 2012 at 8:50:05 pm

Thanks Walter

Will try your suggestions. I had stabilised some individual 10-15sec shots and used them which worked fine and was trying to do the entire tape for the client's future use. Maybe I should be a bit less helpful :)

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: AE Memory error on 2nd pass of Warp Stabilization
by on Feb 20, 2012 at 10:09:47 pm

The Warp Stabilizer process needs to hand off its results in RAM in one big blob (the technical term).

If you don't have much RAM, or if you're trying to stabilize a long clip, then you can easily exceed the amount of available RAM.

So, as Walter suggested, stabilize shorter clips so that the data to be transferred is not so much all at once.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

by on Feb 20, 2012 at 10:43:54 pm

Thanks for your help Walter. Any idea how much RAM we are talking about for this length clip (13min @ 1080)? Just a rough guide so I can plan a future upgrade.

Thanks
Andy.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 20, 2012 at 10:46:45 pm

Apologies Todd, I called your Walter :)

Return to posts index

by on Feb 20, 2012 at 11:11:40 pm

[Andy Sims] "Apologies Todd, I called your Walter :)"

Well, there are worse things you could have called him...

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Feb 21, 2012 at 2:03:06 am

Oh dear, upset two people who have helped me !! :)

Thanks heaps guys
Andy

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: AE Memory error on 2nd pass of Warp Stabilization
by on Feb 21, 2012 at 4:48:51 am

Being mistaken for Walter is high praise.

Regarding how much memory is required for he final hand-off of the "blob" of results data when Warp Stabilizer is done analying:
It varies, depending on the amount of motion and detail in the shot, but I can tell you that I've never hit the problem with either of my main computers, which have 16GB and 24GB of RAM. But I've never tried a clip longer than a few minutes.

I have hit the problem on my MacBook Pro with 4GB even on a clip of just a couple of minutes.

I'll ask the tester who really exercised this failure case to see if he has any better quantitative information.

BTW, one counter-intuitive detail is that you can work around this specific problem by reserving more RAM for other applications in the Memory & Multiprocessing preferences. The reason for that is that in this sense, the Warp Stabilizer background process is considered a separate application from After Effects---so reserving more RAM for other applications gives the Warp Stabilizer more RAM to work with. (Yeah, I know it's confusing.)

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

by on Feb 21, 2012 at 12:04:25 pm

[Todd Kopriva] "BTW, one counter-intuitive detail is that you can work around this specific problem by reserving more RAM for other applications in the Memory & Multiprocessing preferences. The reason for that is that in this sense, the Warp Stabilizer background process is considered a separate application from After Effects---so reserving more RAM for other applications gives the Warp Stabilizer more RAM to work with."

Thanks, Todd. That does make sense.

Given that note, Andy, I'd be sure to turn off multiprocessing before stabilizing. Since the warp stabilizer analyzes in a background process, not in the AE renderer, multiprocessing will not apply. It will just soak up valuable RAM for an extra AE renderer instance that you don't need.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]