ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Problems with 3D objects when nesting & precomposing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly Lawer
Problems with 3D objects when nesting & precomposing
on Feb 20, 2012 at 1:12:53 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to get more organised in AE by nesting comps and precomposing. For the most part, this works a treat for organising my workflow, but I have encountered problems following building 3D objects.

Basically, whether I pre-compose a group of 3D shapes (say a cube for arguments sake) or create a new composition and create a 3D cube within that, when I bring it into another comp, it is flat. I notice that when you bring the comp in that it is not at first a 3D layer, but even enabling the 3D button doesn't solve the problem.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Problems with 3D objects when nesting & precomposing
on Feb 20, 2012 at 1:29:02 pm

This should help... read the collapse transformation part.

3D layer interactions, render order, and collapsed transformations

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Feb 20, 2012 at 2:29:48 pm

Brilliant! Thank you.

I see that collapse transformations has an impact on effects applied to the pre-comp. What's the best way around this if I want to apply an effect to the pre-comp and I have collapse transformations toggled on?

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 20, 2012 at 2:39:54 pm

[Olly Lawer] "I see that collapse transformations has an impact on effects applied to the pre-comp. What's the best way around this if I want to apply an effect to the pre-comp and I have collapse transformations toggled on?"

This cannot be done. Applying an effect to a 3D precomp breaks 3D intersection.

The page that Cassius linked you to explains (emphasis mine):
Just like 2D layers, other types of layers also prevent 3D layers on either side from intersecting or casting shadows on one another:
  • An adjustment layer
  • A 3D layer with a layer style applied
  • A 3D precomposition layer to which an effect, closed mask (with mask mode other than None), or track matte has been applied
  • A 3D precomposition layer without collapsed transformations

I wrote a more in-depth explanation in this thread on 3D intersection and 3D precomp layers [link].

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Feb 20, 2012 at 2:42:17 pm

OK, thanks. Just have to put up with a messy comp or think about render order in the precomp a little more to accommodate some effects I would of applied to the precomp.

Thanks!

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 20, 2012 at 2:48:47 pm

[Olly Lawer] "OK, thanks. Just have to put up with a messy comp or think about render order in the precomp a little more to accommodate some effects I would of applied to the precomp."

On the subject of messy comps:

You can group related items using color labels [link]. You can then make selections in the timeline by color label.

The shy switch [link] lets you hide layers in the timeline panel (without hiding them in the comp).

Zorro the Layer Tagger [link] is an amazing script that stores tags in the comment fields for layers and lets you work very efficiently with arbitrary selections based on those tags.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Feb 20, 2012 at 2:53:06 pm

Brilliant! Thank you again.

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Feb 20, 2012 at 2:56:51 pm

So, just quickly then, I've got a script from AEScripts for a 3D box, I want to warp it so it animates a buldge. I would of liked to of created a pre-comp of the box layers, then added the warp, but clearly I cannot do that, so how would I go about it instead? Render out as mov with alpha channel and then apply warp?

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 20, 2012 at 3:14:15 pm

[Olly Lawer] "I've got a script from AEScripts for a 3D box, I want to warp it so it animates a buldge. I would of liked to of created a pre-comp of the box layers, then added the warp, but clearly I cannot do that, so how would I go about it instead? Render out as mov with alpha channel and then apply warp?"

Pre-rendering would work.

So would duplicating your main 3D camera, placing it inside the 3D precomp, and treating it as any other 2D comp instead of collapsing transformations. You could either link the two cameras together with expressions (so one always follows the other), or manually copy and paste the main camera back into the precomp if you make any changes.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]