ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Vector Magic equivilent for video? (rotoscoping?) - Waking Life; A Scanner Darkly

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave ChavinskyVector Magic equivilent for video? (rotoscoping?) - Waking Life; A Scanner Darkly
by on Feb 19, 2012 at 6:50:59 pm

I used the program "Vector Magic" to convert a still image to a vectorized image that has a cartoony art kind of style. I would like to use effects or filters to achieve this in After Effects if possible.

Similar to the look of the films, "Waking Life", and "A Scanner Darkly", which used some kind of expensive rotoscoping software as I understand.

So, I want to film real people and turn it into an animation with filters..

Thanks

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Vector Magic equivilent for video? (rotoscoping?) - Waking Life; A Scanner Darkly
by on Feb 19, 2012 at 7:53:49 pm

Effect> Stylize > Cartoon.

Or:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/rabinowitz_aharon/cartoon_look.php

Return to posts index

Dave ChavinskyRe: Vector Magic equivilent for video? (rotoscoping?) - Waking Life; A Scanner Darkly
by on Feb 20, 2012 at 1:11:12 am

That tutorial is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Not a big fan of the cartoon effect.. maybe I need to fool around with it a bit more or combine it with other stuff. Using an image sequence in illustrator sounds like it will give me the control and options I want.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

remi johnsRe: Vector Magic equivilent for video? (rotoscoping?) - Waking Life; A Scanner Darkly
by on May 17, 2014 at 9:55:47 am

thanks that answer really helped with a project im working on

Return to posts index

Benjamin AusmithRe: Vector Magic equivilent for video? (rotoscoping?) - Waking Life; A Scanner Darkly
by on Feb 23, 2012 at 8:09:32 pm

Link's broken-- has the article moved?

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: Vector Magic equivilent for video? (rotoscoping?) - Waking Life; A Scanner Darkly
by on Feb 19, 2012 at 11:46:44 pm

For the rotoscoping part, the rotobrush tool and/or mocha would probably be your best bets. There is plenty of info/tutorials on the cow and elsewhere about both of those tools.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Vector Magic equivilent for video? (rotoscoping?) - Waking Life; A Scanner Darkly
by on Feb 20, 2012 at 12:46:09 am

The movies that you mention used an immense amount of manual work to do this. Software helps, but it's a huge amount of work to get a result that looks good.

The Cartoon effect can ceratinly help, though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]