ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

"Dust" or something appearing in comp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Camenius
"Dust" or something appearing in comp
on Feb 17, 2012 at 10:06:49 am

Hey!

I'm stuck, I don't know what to do. I don't know why, but "dust"/small particles or what you might call them appears in my comp.
What I've done is that I've put a couple of copies of our business logo in a comp, and sort of put them under each other to create the illusion of 3D. With a camera and an adjustment layer I've made the logo "fly around" in the comp, but something is definitely messed up.

At first I used .eps-files but when I thought that that might be the problem I converted them to .psd, but that doesn't fix it. I've tried both CMYK and RGB.

I assume it has something to do with all the layers, but I've done "this kind of thing" before and it's never been like this before.

I would REALLY appreciate any and all help regarding this.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: "Dust" or something appearing in comp
on Feb 17, 2012 at 3:02:00 pm

It sounds to me like maybe a bad alpha channel. Is it possible that the logo was originally on a solid, then cut out to make the alpha in Photoshop, using the magic wand tool? If so, what very often happens is that the tolerance on the background color pick misses a bunch of pixels, resulting in the "dusty" look you're talking about. I hope that's it - otherwise, I've got nothing. A quick check to see if it's the alpha would be to put a mask around the logo as tight as you can get it, and see if the schmutz goes away.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Martin Camenius
on Feb 17, 2012 at 3:10:51 pm

Thanks for your reply, but unfortunately that isn't the case. It's a clean alpha channel... :/

I'll work around it and come up with something else, but would be great to know what it is for future reference.

Return to posts index

Mato Kokotic
on Feb 17, 2012 at 9:59:35 pm

Do you have a light in precomp?

Return to posts index

Martin Camenius
on Feb 20, 2012 at 7:56:54 am

No, no added light sources.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>