ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE Purchase Questions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Larson
AE Purchase Questions
on Feb 17, 2012 at 5:41:11 am

Greetings:

I'm looking at purchasing After Effects as a stand alone app, and I have a few questions:

1. I have a 2011 MBP with Thunderbolt and 8gb of ram. I'm assuming this will be enough horsepower to run AE?

2. I've seen the software priced at around $500. Is there better pricing anywhere? Also, would it be beneficial to buy an older version off eBay and then purchase an upgrade?

3. What's the best book/training/site for AE?

Appreciate any input!

Blessings,

Craig Larson
August Heat Productions
Apple Valley, MN

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: AE Purchase Questions
on Feb 17, 2012 at 3:31:46 pm

[Craig Larson] "1. I have a 2011 MBP with Thunderbolt and 8gb of ram. I'm assuming this will be enough horsepower to run AE?"

AE's performance scales with hardware. You can run AE on a MBP with 8 GB of RAM, but it'll render a lot faster on a 6-core Mac Pro with 24 GB, and faster still on a 12-core with 48 GB.

[Craig Larson] "2. I've seen the software priced at around $500. Is there better pricing anywhere? Also, would it be beneficial to buy an older version off eBay and then purchase an upgrade?"

Retail for AE alone is $999.

Adobe's SWITCH campaign is back on, getting you the entire Production Premium suite for less than the cost of AE alone.

Adobe Creative Cloud subscription licensing [link] will be available in the first half of this year, getting you the entire Creative Suite Master Collection for $50/mo. Until the new pricing plan kicks in, you can subscribe to AE alone [link] for $75/mo (month by month) or $50/mo (if you pay a whole year).

[Craig Larson] "3. What's the best book/training/site for AE?"

If you're new to After Effects, I'd recommend the following link, in which Adobe's Todd Kopriva pulls together some important introductory materials:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

I especially recommend the Video Copilot "Basic Training" series that Todd links to.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Craig Larson
Re: AE Purchase Questions
on Feb 24, 2012 at 5:21:36 pm

Walter:

Thanks for taking the time to respond and the thoroughness of your answers! Looking forward to diving into AE...

Blessings,

Craig Larson
August Heat Productions
Apple Valley, MN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]