ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Audio Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Spencer Tycksen
Audio Effect
on Feb 17, 2012 at 2:34:06 am

I had to use a lav mic in one shot, and a boom in another. There is a noticeable difference in the final footage from one to another. Is there an audio effect that can be tweaked to equalize them as much as possible?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Audio Effect
on Feb 17, 2012 at 3:39:38 am

I gotta tell you, AE is not the brightest candle in the chandelier when it comes to sophisticated audio work.

What other audio tools are at your disposal?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Spencer Tycksen
on Feb 17, 2012 at 2:34:03 pm

Well, I have sound booth, or soundtrack pro - but have virtually no experience in them.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 17, 2012 at 3:49:20 pm

If you have soundtrack pro, you also have FCP, and there are a few EQ filters in it. So that's good news.

Now the bad news, something that I forgot to tell you earlier. Sorry. The major differences between the boom and lav mics probably won't be fixed by EQ.

Unless you had a real pro running the boom and recording the audio, the boom doubtlessly picked up more reverberation than the lav. The boom sounds more hollow than the lav. It's caused by sound just bouncing around the room, and there isn't any effective way to eliminate it.

Oh, you can buy a pricey application like Soundsoap that can reduce the reverb. Even then, it can only help a little bit before it starts degrading other qualities of the audio.

Ironically, it's much, much tougher to fix bad audio than bad video. With audio, it's got to be correct at recording time.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 17, 2012 at 3:55:41 pm

[Spencer Tycksen] "Well, I have sound booth, or soundtrack pro - but have virtually no experience in them."

If you have Production Premium CS5.5, you've also got Audition, which has some pretty easy-to-use noise reduction tools.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]