ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Color correction process

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
julien coudertColor correction process
by on Feb 16, 2012 at 10:01:26 am

Hi foks,

I use AE on a regular basic at work, doing lot of HD motion design in 720p, mostly using photos from professionals and photo banks moving in 3D space in AE with lights shadows motion blurs etc...

In order to optimize my workflow i was wondering if it's a beter idea to always color correct (levels, saturation, sharpen, exposure) in photoshop before using them in AE, than color correct directly in AE. I was wondering how much ressources it takes to color correct let's say 15 photos in same view, if it matters a lot for RAM preview and rendering.

I will do couple tests myself, but sharing everyone point of view is always good.

Return to posts index

Erik LindahlRe: Color correction process
by on Feb 16, 2012 at 4:54:31 pm

Preparering your media will greatly affect the rending speed in After Effects for sure.

Input footage size can severely affect rendering speeds of simple i/o operations, transformation-effect, and esp. if you add motion blur or filter to the footage. It's always recommended to prep media as much as you can.

Other things to consider is applying filter to the layers of footage or as an adjustment layer in the comp. Sometimes the later can decrease rendering times considerably as you are affecting the comp-size rather than the footage size. If doing a pan / zoom over say something massive - a 12 000 x 12 000 image in a 720x576 PAL-comp, adding effects such as leveles, curves, exposure and so forth to the actual footage will kill rendering times. Simply adding it to the comp in an adjustment layer will rendering X-times faster.

Prepping footage prior to adding them to AE can even increase rending quality at times as well (avoiding aliasing or moarè due to large down-scales).

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Color correction process
by on Feb 16, 2012 at 5:09:47 pm

I recommend Andrew Devis' series of video tutorials on color correction here on the COW. Using Color Finesse, which is bundled with AE, he covers the entire process.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Color correction process
by on Feb 18, 2012 at 8:08:53 am

I agree with Dave. Here is a post that collects links to Andrew Devis's color correction tutorials.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved