ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Pixel Aspect Ratio Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam LewenPixel Aspect Ratio Question
by on Feb 16, 2012 at 9:57:59 am

Hi! Every now and then I encounter a Pixel Aspect Ratio problem and I figure it out. This time I need help understanding whats going on and how to resolve it...
My situation is:
A friend sent me a piece of footage to work on, he sent me a
Quicktime 960X720 (1.33)
DVCPRO HD 720p
Which he edited on his Mac.

I got it into my PC to AE did some work and rendered out for him to see as a H264 format in high quality.
I like this output from AE and use it often.

He gets the files squashed on the sides (while I see them perfectly right on my PC)
I know it has to do with the Frame Aspect Ratio. But what should I do? What would be the right workflow?

I want to be able and work on the pieces of footage I get from him and send him back references and eventually a final QT to put back into his movie...
I would like to do so while changing less settings as possible. I need these clips to go out as they came in. H264 is just for reference.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Pixel Aspect Ratio Question
by on Feb 16, 2012 at 10:10:30 am

Make sure your project settings and your render settings (in output module) are the same.
To create a comp with the exact settings of your clip (Quicktime 960X720 (1.33)) just drag the clip over the composition icon at the bottom of your project panel.
When you render just check the Output module settings and make sure the frame size AND the pixel aspect ratio are the same.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Adam LewenRe: Pixel Aspect Ratio Question
by on Feb 16, 2012 at 10:31:29 am

Thanks for the quick reply!
They are... here is an image (the QT type info can be seen in the project window and my output on the output window...)
http://tinyurl.com/6rnyfrp
What am I doing wrong?
Is it a Mac-PC issue?

Return to posts index

by on Feb 16, 2012 at 11:10:16 am

Thanks for the quick reply!
For some reason my reply needs to be moderated... Maybe because I linked to a screen capture where I show that that's what I did...
I am still looking for a solution and hopefully soon my first reply will go through and you will be able to see my export setting which I think are right.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

by on Feb 16, 2012 at 12:44:57 pm

Last but not least, I did try rendering out with unlocking the 4:3 and also to a DVCPRO 720 HD (as the original footage)...
Thanks for any input.
Adam

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Pixel Aspect Ratio Question
by on Feb 16, 2012 at 5:17:39 pm

This is a piece of cake, especially with DVCPro HD 720 footage: work in 1280x720 comp. No fooling. I do it all the time.

When you add the footage to the comp, you see it as 16x9. Text layers always look nice & smooth. Squares are square. Circles are circular.

Best of all, when you render it as DVCPro HD, the codec will automatically turn it back into 960x720, because the specification for particular codec demands 960x720.

A happy circumstance, yes?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Feb 17, 2012 at 10:16:09 am

Indeed! That's what I did.
Thanks Dave!
Happy Weekend!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>