ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Adjusting exposure in one small araa of a clip

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Garry BeattieAdjusting exposure in one small araa of a clip
by on Feb 16, 2012 at 1:33:23 am

New Member; Long post for the first time, hope this is OK. Need help.
Use Adobe Production Premium Suite CS5. More knowledgeable in Premier than After Effects but I’m learning. Been around the music business for many years, do live recordings and am now getting into doing HD videos with my live recordings. Sony Ex1r and cx550 as camera’s.
Question #1. I currently have a video project of a live jazz group done in not the greatest lighting conditions. The face of the piano player is directly in a spot light and overexposed.
Can someone give me a link or some info on how I can correct the gamma and or brightness of just one face in a stage full of players (5).. The rest of the group is not so bad, drummer with white shirt is a little problem, but the main issue is the piano players face. How to fix this in Premier would be best for me, but if after effects is the way to go then please point me in the right direction.
Question 2: This same above footage was 1st noise filtered with Neat Video plugin in after effects, then rendered as mpeg-2 and saved to import into premier. Neat Video Plugin did a great job at improving what shooting at +18db of gain in low light did to this project. 
I would have preferred to render it out in a lossless format as recommended, but this project has long files. 2 ½ hours shot at 30p, Song Ex1r, shortest clip 44 minutes, average song length 15 minutes. So, my render settings in AVI for this noise filtered clip showed around 13GB of storage space for every minute of footage. The clip being processed was 45 minutes long. 545 GB for 45 minutes and I have over 2 hours to work up ruled that option out.
..Any suggestion for rendering EX1r footage to be further worked on in Premier which would be better than mpeg-2 and require less space than AVI.. All my footage is 1920x1080 & might end up on Blu-Ray at some point.
Thanks for any help you can give, must get this project completed ASAP.

Return to posts index

Angelo LorenzoRe: Adjusting exposure in one small araa of a clip
by on Feb 16, 2012 at 4:27:48 am

1. Add an adjustment layer with gamma, contrast, or curves effect, adjust to taste, then use the pen or shape tool to create a mask around the piano player's face. If the camera moves, you can motion track the piano player and add the motion tracking data to the adjustment layer so it moves in concert.

2. Use dynamic link to bring AE stuff back into Premiere, no need to render a full file for the trip. Premiere will make you render the timeline to continue editing in real time though. Sould be under file > Import and you can import an after effects project and select the comp you want to use.

Return to posts index

Garry BeattieRe: Adjusting exposure in one small araa of a clip
by on Feb 16, 2012 at 12:26:51 pm

Thanks Angelo and Ted for the feedback to this point:

Looks like I was sort of on the right track but was creating garbage matts in premier, not AE.

Has not worked so well, the face in question has a quite small profile to work with, no close up frames to speak of. Hard to separate just the face from the hairline as there is long hair involved & it is a side view.

The overexposed face makes the players nose really stick out & am quite sure she won’t like it.
Don’t know if I can improve this one, too bad. Stunning performance by the world class artists involved & a lot of work has already been put into it.

Almost three hours of footage, most all with the same issue when the piano player is in the scene. Wish I had had some input into the lighting placement, did not see what I was faced with until the act started.

Have had issues with dynamic link before and sort of gave that up although I have not tried just the drag and drop method of working with AE & Premier on the same project. I’m a bit of a greenhorn here, so keep that in mind.

Each clip has already been processed with Neat Video noise out and returned to premier, the shortest clip is 45 minutes.

Were you suggesting I cut the premier timeline into segments where the piano player is visible and export the project to AE .

If So & I have continued dynamic link issues: can I just drag and drop the project file from Premier into AE and vice versa.

I am also dealing with all the multitask mixing and tracking on a lot of projects so I have my hands full24_7. Retired now and working harder than ever.

Thanks again folks for the assistance, so much to learn about AE is is almost mind boggling. I’m a Woodstock generation survivor.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Adjusting exposure in one small araa of a clip
by on Feb 16, 2012 at 9:53:30 am

1- You can use Colorista free to correct the highlights using power masks. It's a really intuitive plugin.

2. I agree with Angelo- cut in Premiere and use Dynamic link to do effects in AE. One other suggestion is to create a new sequence, drag in the first sequence (your edit) and send that through Dynamic link to AE. This way you can apply an effect like Neat Video to the whole edit. For individual color correction (the piano player face) it is best to send the clips to AE from the main edit, to work on them individually.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Garry BeattieRe: Adjusting exposure in one small araa of a clip
by on Feb 16, 2012 at 12:59:20 pm

Thanks for the info on the Reg Giant products:

Looks interesting.
Some of their products look like it would make my AE experience a little easier.

Looked at that Clorista free link and cold not seem to find which features is provides without upgrading to Colorista-2.

• Are the masks it is referring to just the same masks which are already in AE

• The color wheel shown looks like the Quick Color corrector in premier and AE, what is the difference.

• They have many products on there which have really caught my attention but don’t have a bottomless bank account…

I have tons of High End Analog audio processing gear I should sell, perhaps I will have to do that one of these days to keep up with all this video editing expense.

Two new computers in the last 1 ½ years. Not to mention all the audio processing plugins. Lots of fun but at a high price.

Remember / PC Guy her, use a macbook pro for live recording setups.

• Thanks for your assistance / most appreciated!

• Old school guy here who lives in heartland.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2016 All Rights Reserved