ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Projection/merging for map unfolding.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christophe De BackerProjection/merging for map unfolding.
by on Feb 15, 2012 at 4:57:27 pm

I have a map unfold animation (very basic).
The problem is the unfolding should happen from a different starting picture, at least the back cover off the map that is unfolding.

I don't really know how to explain it in English. So I added a picture. The map on the left should be the background off the white solid on the right. If I unfold the white solid (back cover map) I show the front cover of the map.

I tried to create 12 block of the map, and fold them in 3D space like the image (left) and a black border on each tile. But that just look horrible wrong.

Does this make sense? Or Im I talking gibberish.

Christophe from Belgium

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Projection/merging for map unfolding.
by on Feb 15, 2012 at 7:02:22 pm

You can prep the map in PSD by creating the front and back for each rectangle from the folding map. So if your map has 9 rectangles you will need 18 layers, 2 for each rectangle, one front and one back. Make all layers 3d. Position the Back side of the map by rotating 180 all pieces and pushing them back in z space just a bit. On the Front move the Anchor Point for all the side pieces to the interior, on the fold line. Move the Anchor Point from the top and bottom middle pieces to the center piece right on their folding lines as well. Link the Top Side rectangles to the Top Center piece and the Bottom Side to the Bottom Center piece. Link each back side rectangle to it's corresponding front side. When you fold the sides in, you'll need to animate a rotation on the Y axis for each piece, but for the top only a rotation on the x for the top center and bottom center.
Hope this makes sense to you.
If you have the budget for FreeForm Pro though, you can actually fold a layer in 3d space with the distortion controls.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Christophe De BackerRe: Projection/merging for map unfolding.
by on Feb 16, 2012 at 8:56:09 am

I see. It makes sense. I did most of the things you write, but I didn't prep the map in PSD.
I masked out the rectangle from the map and animated those on the fold lines. Parented a white solid (mask out the back) to the back of each rectangle.

Let's try it again with a prep map in PSD.

Thanks Ted

Christophe from Belgium

Return to posts index

Ahmad FolyRe: Projection/merging for map unfolding.
by on Sep 5, 2012 at 9:05:50 am

hi how are you .my name is foly aim form Egypt and aim very interested about projection mapping . and i want to ask you about kind of project using in projection and where i can found it .and thanks to support me.

Best regards

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved