ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Photoshop to After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neal BarkleyPhotoshop to After Effects
by on Feb 15, 2012 at 3:45:02 pm

Hi Guys,

I am hoping someone can help me. I am trying to create a simple title of white text in photoshop that i can bring in to After Effects and then animate on a black background.

Unfortunately the background is slightly 2 tone so i need to have the white text on a transparent back ground.

I have spent hours researching it and there seem to be so many conflicting views of whether i need to use an alpha channel or not.

I have also spent a while trying different ways of saving the file in photoshop but i cant get it to work.

I am very new to After Effects so any instructions as if explaining to a not too bright child would be so appreciated!

Thank you in advance and please help!

Return to posts index

Richard WindsorRe: Photoshop to After Effects
by on Feb 15, 2012 at 4:02:26 pm

All you need to do is get rid of your background layer in Photoshop. If your text is on a different layer then you should have a layer called background that is just all white. Just delete that layer, and when you import the PSD into After Effects there will be no background white, just your text. Hope that helps!

Return to posts index

Neal BarkleyRe: Photoshop to After Effects
by on Feb 15, 2012 at 4:10:15 pm

Hi Richard,

Many thanks for your message. I did try that but for some reason when i import it in to After effects all i get is a solid white box the dimensions of the layer in photoshop that contains the text.

Do you know where i am going wrong?

Return to posts index

Richard WindsorRe: Photoshop to After Effects
by on Feb 15, 2012 at 4:19:32 pm

Are you exporting or saving the image? If you export it as a jpeg or gif a white background will be added because those file types do not support transparency on layers. You need to make sure that you are just saving the file as a PSD, or photoshop document. Start a new graphic and follow the previous instructions and remove the background layer, then go file - save as - (then save it as a PSD).

When you import it the image After Effects will ask something about merging layers, just hit ok.

You can also export the image as a PNG file and it will preserve any transparency. But I always just use PSD. Keeps layers in tact so you can easily make changes later.

Does this help?

Return to posts index

by on Feb 15, 2012 at 5:03:34 pm

Hi Richard,

I was using .TIFF files as i thought it was possible with them but have changed to PSD as advised and finally got it to work! Thank you so much it was very kind of you!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Photoshop to After Effects
by on Feb 15, 2012 at 4:23:05 pm

Here's one way that should work-

While in photoshop save your file as a layered PSD. In AE import the file and Change the "Import As" selection to "Composition". Now you can copy the text layer to any new composition you create.

And when you get a chance you should work your way though some of the tutorials here at the Cow and:Getting Started with AE

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 15, 2012 at 5:01:32 pm

John thank you , i did get it to work, i really appreciate your help. I will definitely have a look at the tutorials.

THank you again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]