ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Drop Shadow (Rasterization?)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pravin ChotteraDrop Shadow (Rasterization?)
by on Feb 14, 2012 at 10:49:23 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to apply a drop shadow and cc page turn to a comp, but when I apply both, the drop shadow becomes a cloud of dots and I have no idea why. I thought it might have to do with continuous rasterization, but I'm not sure.

Here are the details of the comp:
(I've attached an image of what is happening)

The white rectangle in the middle, and all the graphs on it, are nested in a composition. The white rectangle was created in Illustrator. When I apply a drop shadow to the composition that contains the rectangle, I get the dot cloud. When I apply the drop shadow to the rectangle inside the comp, it looks fine in both the rectangle comp and the main comp. However, when I apply CC Page Turn to the comp, the drop shadow changes into the dot cloud.

One interesting thing is that when I move any of the drop shadow control sliders, the dot cloud changes to a proper drop shadow as long as I am moving the slider.

I've never seen this before and was wondering if anyone could tell me what was going on!

Thanks everyone!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Drop Shadow (Rasterization?)
by on Feb 14, 2012 at 11:05:19 pm

Have you considered precomposing, then applying drop shadow?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Pravin ChotteraRe: Drop Shadow (Rasterization?)
by on Feb 15, 2012 at 5:54:56 pm

The white rectangle is in a pre-comp. I'm sorry - I should have been clearer about that.

The dot cloud appears when I apply the drop shadow to the rectangle inside the precomp and when I apply it to the precomp itself.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Drop Shadow (Rasterization?)
by on Feb 15, 2012 at 6:05:51 pm

A common cause of such things is to use Open GL acceleration when rendering. If you have it on, turn it off.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Feb 15, 2012 at 6:48:57 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I tried turning Open GL off and it didn't help. I also played around with the various settings but it didn't help.

The problem seems to be with this particular composition. I just remade the comp from scratch, applied the same effects in the same order, and dropped it into my main comp with no problems. I have no idea why the dot cloud appeared, but I was able to rather inelegantly workaround.

In any case, thank you so much for your help!

Return to posts index

Mato KokoticRe: Drop Shadow (Rasterization?)
by on Feb 17, 2012 at 10:10:59 am

Seems to me that blending mode was set to Dissolve instead to normal...

Return to posts index

by on Feb 17, 2012 at 3:09:17 pm

Ah ha! That was exactly the problem. Thank you Mato. I shan't make that mistake again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]