ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Using After Effects footage in Premiere

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emily Scollon
Using After Effects footage in Premiere
on Feb 14, 2012 at 8:25:20 pm

I have footage in NTSC D1 Widescreen Square Pixel (872x486) 436:243/1.79 ratio.

I'm exporting clips at uncompressed, and having a hard time using it in Premiere even if I pick a setting that is square pixel it looks much more pixelated.

I'm using the video on a computer and for a presentation so it needs to be in square pixels. After effects has always confused me with these square pixel settings. I'd love to know suggestions on what settinig to use in this instance and if anyone has any information on further reading I can do on this topic as well!

thanks a lot.

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Using After Effects footage in Premiere
on Feb 14, 2012 at 9:16:05 pm

What version of Premiere and After Effects? If it's newer (I think CS4 introduced this) then use dynamic link.

Put each program side by side and literally take the comp you want to use from AE's project bin and drag and drop it to Premiere's project bin. There are more formals ways to do this using File > Import in Premiere... drag & drop is faster to explain.

In Premiere, drag the comp and drop it onto the "New Sequence" icon, this will create a sequence that conforms to your footage (frame size, frame rate, pixel aspect ratio, etc). You aren't limited to sequence presets in Premiere, in fact you can edit them or create new ones to meet your needs.

Return to posts index

Emily Scollon
on Feb 14, 2012 at 9:28:44 pm

Oh that's really helpful!!!! I also found this which was sort of an obvious go to i missed:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/4.0/WS03BF7479-8C7B-4522-8C75-210AD...

the "about square pixel" footage helped :-)

great to know i can drag and drop, i was trying to figure out how to correctly incorporate the two programs. Will they autoupdate now as well? i was having problems getting the files to autoupdate.

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on Feb 14, 2012 at 9:33:03 pm

Autoupdate always seems a little weird. When you save in After Effects it should push the update to Premiere (Premiere will bog down for a second or two as it does this) but I've also had times where it won't: you have to clear your sequence render files in Premiere and then restart Premiere. Kind of a pain in the neck if it misbehaves.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 14, 2012 at 10:37:22 pm

I recognize the advantages in working in NTSC D1 Widescreen square pixel: Squares are square, and circles are circular.

But the thing is, Premiere may be looking for 720x486, not 872x486.

Is there an NTSC D1 Widescreen 720x486 comp preset? I forget. If there is, nest your completed comp in it, scale the nested comp to fit the main comp and render. If no such preset exists, use a normal NTSC D1 comp preset and do the same thing.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Emily Scollon
on Mar 2, 2012 at 10:43:36 pm

Dave the rescaling seems to make sense. Is this standard procedure? how do people deal with square pixel footage normally when using both after effects and premiere? Premiere seems very square pixel unfriendly... i cant seem to export my footage correctly either. It is either squashed because its trying to make it rectangular, or its quality is awful.

I was thinking of taking my premiere file and importing it into after effects, because i've never had trouble rendering from there... but when i bring the file in it will not go in the composition. If i do the dynamic link the file comes in as blank.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated... even if its something directing me on where I can learn more!

thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]