ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CS5.5 stereo audio becomes dual mono in FCP

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jan Van den BosscheAE CS5.5 stereo audio becomes dual mono in FCP
by on Feb 14, 2012 at 1:43:36 pm

Hi,

working in CS5.5 on a MacPro.
I render a comp with a stereo audio file to a QT Movie with any codec, settings are stereo 16bit, the audio output mapping is set to Left:Out1 Right:Out2 Then I import this movie file in FCP7. There it shows up as 2 mono channels.
If I play the QT Movie in QT Player or MPEGstreamclip the "info" windows say it's "stereo".

Very strange...

Where did I go wrong?

Jan

Jan Van den Bossche

Jan Van den Bossche

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: AE CS5.5 stereo audio becomes dual mono in FCP
by on Feb 14, 2012 at 2:02:31 pm

The left and right channels are just being seperated in FCP, you have stereo. Left Mono + Right Mono = Stereo

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE CS5.5 stereo audio becomes dual mono in FCP
by on Feb 14, 2012 at 3:46:10 pm

...and to follow up on Johnny's information, it typically isn't even necessary to include an audio track when you render. The crucial audio can usually be found elsewhere.... like in your video editing application.

Editing audio in AE is often not a good thing to do. If there is audio editing that needs to be done, it should be done in a different application before you get to AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jan Van den BosscheRe: AE CS5.5 stereo audio becomes dual mono in FCP
by on Feb 15, 2012 at 8:30:15 am

Hi,

thanks for your answers.
Of course I don't edit audio in AE, that wouldn't be smart.
But I make 30" commercials, I get 30" stereo mixed and finalized audio wave files from the audio production studio.
So I render the final commercial from AE to deliver for broadcasting. If I import that final QT Movie to double check it in FCP then it says dual mono. It's not a disaster but it's strange since that it isn't the case in CS4 and I checked all settings.

Dual mono isn't the same as stereo. You still have to "pan left and right" to get a stereo sound.

Jan

Jan Van den Bossche

Return to posts index

Erik LindahlRe: AE CS5.5 stereo audio becomes dual mono in FCP
by on Feb 15, 2012 at 9:44:12 am

I've had this problem since After Effects CS5 and onwards and haven't found a solution. I have to manually link up the dual mono to a stereo pair in FCP which is a pain (and it's happened others have missed this and actually delivered dual mono spots to TV).

A solution would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE CS5.5 stereo audio becomes dual mono in FCP
by on Feb 15, 2012 at 5:24:23 pm

Then change your workflow. Bring video and audio together in a video editing application, where the audio will behave properly and export properly.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Erik LindahlRe: AE CS5.5 stereo audio becomes dual mono in FCP
by on Feb 16, 2012 at 12:19:13 pm

Then change your workflow. Bring video and audio together in a video editing application, where the audio will behave properly and export properly.

That's a somewhat backwards way of thinking. This is an obvious bug in After Effects, QuickTime or Final Cut Pro - I'd say in how AE writes the QT-file or how FCP interoperates what AE writes to the QT-file.

Yes, you can solve it by using another approach (linking mono-tracks to stereo in FCP and rendering out a new file) given that takes time and shouldn't be required.

I'd recommend people seeing this bug to submit a report to Adobe so they fix it.

Return to posts index

Jan Van den BosscheRe: AE CS5.5 stereo audio becomes dual mono in FCP
by on Feb 16, 2012 at 12:30:32 pm

Thank you Erik, I totally agree.

let's hope someone at Adobe looks into this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]