ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Really stuck! Need help removing nail polish out of video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Ricker
Really stuck! Need help removing nail polish out of video
on Feb 14, 2012 at 6:06:17 am

I really need some help in working out how to remove nail polish from someone in my scene. It's bright red and I can select just the red color in fcp but cannot come up with any suitable way of returning it to a normal skin tone color.

What effect can I use in after effects to just select the finger nail color, turn it to a grayscale and then tint it. If I can't remove it my footage is void :( please any help is most most appreciated!

Return to posts index

Jacob Lanum
Re: ally stuck! Need help removing nail polish out of video
on Feb 14, 2012 at 6:30:25 am

Could u just do some secondary color correction on it? Try and make it match the skin tone.

Easy in apple color or davinci resolve light

Return to posts index

Craig Ricker
on Feb 14, 2012 at 6:47:11 am

I've never used color but happy to learn if this will solve the problem! The only time I looked at color I noticed secondary to make a vignette? Is that how it works, inside a vignette?

Return to posts index

Jacob Lanum
on Feb 14, 2012 at 7:07:40 am

Yeah. In the secondaries you can use a color picker to isolate a color you want to change, then use a vingette to mask out any extra spots that are also red so you dont change those aswell.

Best of luck, look up a secondaries color tutorial if you have trouble

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Really stuck!
on Feb 14, 2012 at 7:33:51 am

Re/de-coloring is the easy part. The difficulty will involve selecting the areas for secondary grading. This is where tracking comes into play and where mochaPro or mochaAE will be your best friend.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Craig Ricker
Re: ally stuck!
on Feb 14, 2012 at 12:26:57 pm

I know how to use mocha well. So do I track the shots and attach the masked secondaries over the originals?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Feb 14, 2012 at 12:33:06 pm

That or use the track data to track masks on the mails for color correction.
My guess is that you could use a Color Range Key to isolate the nails without the need for tracking. You can use the matte you will get this way for all layers of color correction you need. I think in AE Colorista -free version (Red Giant)- should work well for what you need.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Feb 14, 2012 at 1:11:19 pm

I suggest that you try Ted's idea without tracking - simply because it's faster. The final solution you find, depends on the other colors in the footage as well as the frequency and severity of any occlusion of the nails.

If you are going to use mochaAE/mochaPro for tracking, then export mocha's shape layers into AE and use that as a Track Matte for your graded nails.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 14, 2012 at 3:54:05 pm

Let us not forget that Color Finesse comes bundled with AE, and may also do a fine job of this task.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Craig Ricker
on Feb 15, 2012 at 5:56:19 am

Ok, so I've gone through and learnt majority of color. I have a question though i cant seem to find an answer to online, that would help me greatly.

I create a nice HSL key in the secondary room, and keyframe a vignette around the nails as they move (massage scene) (shoots himself). Now i've shifted the color from a deep red, to what I think is a satisfactory palish pinkiness. But, the killer here is that the nails still have the shine, as if they are painted, and I was hoping to remove this or at least reduce this, with the use of a blur FX.

So my question is, how do I get the FX room to use only the HSL key I have created in the secondary room?

I notice the HSL key node in the FX room, but this makes me create a new HSL key AND it continues on with the modified image from the secondary room, which means I have no RED nails to select a HSL key from on the FX room.

How do I go about using the HSL key matte input from the secondary room and its vignette, for use in the FX room?

Return to posts index

Jacob Lanum
on Feb 15, 2012 at 6:09:27 am

The fx room kind of works independatly. You will need to create the hsl and masking there aswell to get the blur to stick. One note is the hsl will always work from the original footage, so when you select the finger nail your still picking red not the new color.
Wish I thought of that first so it wouldnt have to be done twice.

Return to posts index

Craig Ricker
on Feb 15, 2012 at 6:18:00 am

Ahhh shame.

When I click on the HSL node and use the eye dropper in the fx room, it shows me the primary and secondary corrections on the footage. It doesnt seem to show the orginal file as you say?

Any suggestion on that one?

Return to posts index

Jacob Lanum
on Feb 15, 2012 at 6:26:47 am

What I meant was that it picks from the original footage but continues ro show you the corrected footage.

Return to posts index

Craig Ricker
on Feb 15, 2012 at 6:32:29 am

Well, as far as I could tell it wasnt. Cause even if i used the sliders to just select red, it was showing nothign as selected cause after my primary and secondary corrections there isnt any red left in the scene.

So it really does only pick from the corrected footage.

Now on a side note. If i was to do all this from the FX room, maybe you coudl help me build my node.

I'm brand new to the world of nodes, but i'm sure I can work my way through it.

So far I have, my vignette and hsl key going into a multiply node, which gets me a matte of the finger nails alone. I can keyframe the vignette from here.

How do I go about, gently softening my matte, like I woudl in teh secondary room HSL selection.

And then what nodes am I using to give me the same levels of color correction as the secondary room had (i.e shadows, midtone, highlights, each with their respective contrasts, saturations etc)

I feel this is gonna get heck complicated ;)

Return to posts index

Craig Ricker
on Feb 15, 2012 at 6:51:50 am

Dont worry, I worked it out, but even with blurs applied, I cant get these dam fingernail looking any less shiny!

Looking for ideas on how to remove the shine on the nails!

Im starting to feel it is not possible, in which case I may need to get very creative in grey scale with some tinting, and a good excuse for using such a coloring effect ;)

Return to posts index

Jacob Lanum
on Feb 15, 2012 at 7:06:14 am

Okay nodes. You can recreate it all but with nodes everything is a just a piece. So if you want to soften the matte you add a blur node, to desaturate add a saturation etc.

Your matte is black and white correct.

One your matte is blurred feed it into a alpha blend
Node to the mask input.

Now you can start connecting you color, contrast, blur, curve nodes into another input of the alpha blend node.

That should do the trick. I might have some terminology wrong im away from the color station.
Remeber to keep your node tree connected to the output.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]