ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Intertwining two Trapcode Form layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danielle AttinellaIntertwining two Trapcode Form layers
by on Feb 13, 2012 at 6:56:03 pm

I've created in Trapcode Form the illusion of birds-eye-view grass blowing in the wind by using dense almost touching strings with their tapered ends rotated towards the camera, and displacement. I've also made a Trapcode Form layer of this same thing but a different color and forming a word.

The goal is to make it seem the word is buried within the "grass" and makings its way out. Right now I have the word's number of particles in 'x' grow from 0, giving it the feel it is growing which is working nice but there is still no overlap of the grass layer.

Is there anyway for these two Form layers to intersect fluidly using a camera? Or are they sort of stuck in their 2-D, 'illusion of 3-D', existence? The only other technique I can think of is to hand mask out grass chunks as they move.

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Intertwining two Trapcode Form layers
by on Feb 13, 2012 at 7:01:16 pm

No way for them to interact, I'm afraid.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Danielle AttinellaRe: Intertwining two Trapcode Form layers
by on Feb 13, 2012 at 7:03:12 pm

Ok thanks! Better to know than wasting time trying to do it.

Return to posts index

Jon BaggeRe: Intertwining two Trapcode Form layers
by on Feb 14, 2012 at 5:28:32 pm

I'm not quite sure I understand what's going on, but it sounds like you may be able to get something like what you want using masks inside a single copy of Form. You make the mask in the shape of the text (make sure you precompose), and you should be able to control certain attributes of form, like colour, size, disperse, opacity.
Using inverted versions of this mask you can affect either the text or the other particles. Play around with it for a while and I'm sure you can make something nice.

--------------
http://www.jonbagge.net
Jon Bagge - Editor - London, UK
Avid - FCP - After Effects

Return to posts index

Danielle AttinellaRe: Intertwining two Trapcode Form layers
by on Feb 14, 2012 at 9:33:57 pm

Thanks, I see what you are suggesting. I'll play around with color and the positive/negative space with the masks. Right now we are compositing the two exported compositions in Flame, but I will test your suggestions, that would be great to have it all work within one Trapcode layer!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]