ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Adding a roller shutter effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
govind kidao
Adding a roller shutter effect
on Feb 11, 2012 at 6:23:39 pm

Hi Guys,

I have some material that I'd like to add a rolling shutter / jello effect too. Odd request I know, but I'm in the process of making a viral for a client who wants a hoax UFO video and the footage at present its way too smooth and clean .... I'm looking to mimic HD camera phone style footage and besides degrading image quality, rolling shutter is another typical feature of camera phone footage

Any Ideas ? Likewise does anyone have any tips on what else would constitute the 'camera phone' look ?

Thanks in Advance

GK

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Adding a roller shutter effect
on Feb 11, 2012 at 7:56:57 pm

Look at the Time Displacement effect. It uses a luma map to display the clip at various points in time. Combined with a gradient luma map, it could do what you want.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Feb 12, 2012 at 3:21:30 am

most phones don't go above 640x480 video resolution even though they say 1080p, nor over 30 fps, white balance goes all over the place, as does exposure. and there's no image stabilizer. just my 2 cents.

Return to posts index

Andrew Somers
on Feb 12, 2012 at 5:16:36 am

Govind said: "I'd like to add a rolling shutter / jello effect too. Odd request I know,"

It's not an odd request, I'm doing something similar for a feature, where the director wants the camera to look "very low end" and have a jello effect added to it.

Time displacement won't give a real rolling shutter effect, as it will just chop the image up into time slices, and be very jagged.

What you want is to track the image motion, then extract the delta with an expression, and use that to drive a transform plug-in.

I am planning on a tutorial on this subject in a couple months when I'm done with this film.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Feb 12, 2012 at 6:50:34 am

adding a simple wiggle to the bezier warp points looks exactly like the jello effect.

Return to posts index

Ben Waflik
on Aug 26, 2014 at 8:21:46 am

Hi Andrew. Have you made a tutorial on that? If not, maybe you could just explain in short how to extract delta? Cause I still haven't figured out how to make a rolling shutter effect. No info in web at all, you're like the only hope left...
Thank you.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 13, 2012 at 3:37:30 pm

Grab a phone with a camera. Play your video while you point your camera at the screen. Shake it a little bit if needed.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Ben Waflik
on Aug 3, 2013 at 2:58:36 pm

So, do somebody now in details how to achieve this effect? I really need to simulate a rolling shutter, please help.

Return to posts index

Nathan Inglesby
on Apr 27, 2014 at 11:43:40 am

I went down the path with time displacement as Dave LaRonde suggested, and then added pixel motion blur to a pre-comp of the time displaced footage. This smooths out a lot of the jaggedness, and the left over jaggedness feels like an organic glitch. (I went pretty high with the shutter angle, in the 300s)

Return to posts index

Ben Waflik
on Apr 27, 2014 at 5:49:31 pm

Sounds a little complicated, guess it's because I'm away from my PC :) But I'll def give it a try. Thanks, glad to hear there's a way without jaginess

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]