ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Ram preview, sound card routing and Motu Problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jag JagssonRam preview, sound card routing and Motu Problem
by on Feb 9, 2012 at 2:29:03 pm

Got this annoying problem for a while now, but have not found a proper solution. Maybe someone here knows how to fix it..

Are using my Motu sound card (Microbook) together with AE Cs 5.5. Everything works just fine, except from when a render/ram previewing starts or stops. Then AE stops responding for while (aprox 10-45 sec) - as if it's waiting for a connection with the soundcard. Then it starts rendering and everything runs ok.

But it's annoying and time consuming to wait 45 sec everytime I'm about to ram preview or render.

The problems occurs when I work with video files with embedded sound tracks only. It doesn't matter if the sound track is muted in the timeline.

Have tried both the ASIO and WDM drivers in the hardware setup - with same bad results. Those two drivers are the only ones that work btw. (When I'm rendering by hitting the space bar, it starts rendering immediately though)

Tried the same setup with my other sound card (Motu 828mk3) with the same result. Have no built in sound card to try.

Same results in both CS5 and 5.5.

Are using Win 7 64bit, Sandy Bridge E, 32GB ram and the latest drivers.

Return to posts index

Kevin ReinerRe: Ram preview, sound card routing and Motu Problem
by on Feb 9, 2012 at 6:29:16 pm

It might be because you have multiprocessing turned on which speeds up total render time but will have a lag at the beginning of the RAM preview process while it distributes tasks to all of the cores. Turn off multiprocessing in the preferences to test this.

Another problem might be the audio. What codec is the audio in? What is the sample rate and does it match the sample rate in the project settings (default at 48 kHZ).

-Reiner

Mac Pro 2 x 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
32GB Memory
Dual-channel 4Gb Fibre Channel PCI Express card
Dell Display (23" flat panel)
ATI Radeon HD 5770
AJA Kona LSi SD/HD capture card
Rourke 16 TB
Flanders 2460

SOFTWARE
Mac OS X 10.6.5
FCP 7
After Effects CS5
Boris Continuum
Sapphire Plug Ins
All Trapcode Plugs
Zaxwerks Invig

Return to posts index

Jag JagssonRe: Ram preview, sound card routing and Motu Problem
by on Feb 13, 2012 at 12:46:38 pm

Hmm, no, the multi processing doesn't seem to cause the delay..

I have also checked that the project sample rate matches the audiofiles. The audio sound formats is ordinary wav or aiff - 24 and 16 bit.

Odd.

Return to posts index

Kevin ReinerRe: Ram preview, sound card routing and Motu Problem
by on Feb 13, 2012 at 2:10:00 pm

So, if you made a comp that didn't have audio embedded with video, but did have a solo audio layer, it would start rendering RAM preview normally?

Weird. I'm a Mac user, so I'm unfamiliar with your Windows setup. Maybe there is a windows user out there who could help better than I.

My only other suggestion is to have your AE info window open when you hit render and see if it tells you anything.

Good luck,
Reiner

Mac Pro 2 x 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
32GB Memory
Dual-channel 4Gb Fibre Channel PCI Express card
Dell Display (23" flat panel)
ATI Radeon HD 5770
AJA Kona LSi SD/HD capture card
Rourke 16 TB
Flanders 2460

SOFTWARE
Mac OS X 10.6.5