ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Inverted luma matte not working properly in render

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicola CoinInverted luma matte not working properly in render
by on Feb 8, 2012 at 3:43:52 am

Hello guys, I've always been a reader of creative cow and this is my first post, related to a problem I'm having on AE lately that's driving me literally mad.

The problem is related to an inverted luma matte and I have this situation: i created a comp consisting in some white smoke (different .mov files) spreading on a black background until it becomes fully white, and used this comp as a luma matte to make a picture dissolve (inverted luma matte)
I also used the same comp in the same way to dissolve the background later on.

Everything works as intended until I pre comp everything to use it with another comp or even when I try to render the work. what happens is this: the background dissolves (luma matte working) but the picture doesn't.
Like there's no matte at all, the picture just sits there.

I checked everything and I can't see why it shouldn't work only when I try to render or pre comp the work, also if the luma matte is wrong, why does it work on the background and not on the picture?

Please help, I need to solve this thing because it's for an important video and it's driving me mad.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Return to posts index

Nicola CoinRe: Inverted luma matte not working properly in render
by on Feb 8, 2012 at 4:16:16 am

I've found out why: the picture had a layer style (drop shadow) and turning this off solves the problem, but then again I ask myself why? Is there a solution to make the whole thing work? (luma matte and drop shadow?)

thanks

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Inverted luma matte not working properly in render
by on Feb 8, 2012 at 8:06:03 am

Do not use Layer Styles, use the Drop Shadow effect. If that does not work, precomp and add drop shadow after.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Nicola CoinRe: Inverted luma matte not working properly in render
by on Feb 8, 2012 at 11:04:30 am

Thanks a lot. Any idea why layer styles mess up the matte though?

cheers

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Inverted luma matte not working properly in render
by on Feb 8, 2012 at 1:58:28 pm

Not really, I know that Layer Styles limits 3D interaction and gives error in a 3d environment, so I thought that may be the issue here as well. As to exactly why that happens... maybe Adobe can answer.

Todd...?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]